ASUS Eee PC 1201N Netbook On Linux Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    By running a 32 bit binary on windows 7 64 though you are not really benching it but the performance of wow64, windows 32-bit emulator.
    "Emulator" this is just a mulitlib implementation + some wrapper libs; 32bit code is executed natively on the CPU.

Comment

You're going through wow64, the thunking layer. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, didn't implement their stuff in the same manners that we did. When you execute a 32-bit application, all calls are not to native 32-bit libraries, but are actually thunked to the 64-bit space. Now, while it's not the same performance hit that the 16-to-32-bit thunks were, there's a hit and you're not running in 32-bits for everything like under Linux. Now, the drawback: You have to have the multilib stuff in place on Linux or you can't run 32-bit apps. Under Windows, you can run always. But there is a performance, etc. hit and a risk of it just not working right.

Comment

I got Ubuntu 9.10 running on it with some issues however:
        The microphone didn't work, but did after I installed the latest ALSA from source.
        The N330 doesn't support Speedstep, so there's no power scaling in Ubuntu. Asus does have a power scaling app for Windows 7 though.
        WIFI didn't work, until I downloaded the driver from the Realtek site.
        However everytime I started aMSN, the WIFI connection would break permanently. Only a reboot could re-establish it each time. Since a stable WIFI connection is crucial in my case, I had no choice but to dump Ubuntu and reinstall Windows 7 (32 bit unfortunately).

Comment

Working...
        X