RadeonHD 4670 trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonHD 4670 trouble

Okay, I've been trying to do it all by myself, and I've been failing miserably when the directions make it stupid-proof.

Well, I've broken the stupid-proofness.

Anyway, I have the HD 4670. I know there's radeon and radeonhd. I've read guides saying to install radeon. I've done the ppas, tried installing through the git, and compiling. Heck, I don't even know what I'm really talking about. At the end of the day, I've been getting the black screen of death over and over.

My linux-kernel is the latest that's out though. I did that right, at least.

Two weeks ago, I managed to get radeonhd to work. I had no compiz support or any other desktop features, and then I randomly had blue lines going vertically across my screen, whether I'm booting or in gnome. I heard updating to 2.6.33-rc3 fixes that, but nothing has changed on my end.

So the question. What guide should I follow. Should I keep trying to use radeon, or should I just go back ahead and put radeonhd back on? And which instructions should I follow so that I'm not constantly fixing my xorg and starting over?

I need something that's pretty stupid proof. I can figure out how to put all the commands in, but every guide I've used has led me straight to failure. I just don't got it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Okay, so I got things up and running.

Only problem is, I have blue noise all over my screen. It wasn't like this when I put the card in the machine and got it up and working the first time. Then, suddenly, I have 4 or 5 vertical lines worth of blue noise. Goes away when I put a mouse over it, but whenever I'm looking at something black, I see nothing but the blue pixel noise. Kind of annoying.

I know it's the card. I put other monitors on and I get the same problem.

Happens on boot up now too.

Any fix for that? Something wrong with my card?

Comment

Working...
    X