ATI dropping support for Linux?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Our "vision" is to work with the community, not to do our own thing. I know it sounds radical, but that's what we are doing.
    If only that kind of commitment would carry over to other parts of AMD.

To realise my dream of an open source friendly computer...

I would like AMD to introduce a new "open source platform" to "force" motherboard manufacturers to select only open source friendly chipset.

Ideally this new platform should use coreboot instead of BIOS. Since that probably would be an impossible request it would be enough if manufacturers where forced to include a replaceable BIOS chipset along the motherboard. Preferably along with a separate tool to flash the chip.

Also the platform should only incorporate open source friendly chipset for network, sound etc.

While I'm still dreaming, this NEW platform should never incorporate old legacy stuff like IDE, ISA, PS/2, D-SUB, AGP, PCI etc. Separate adapters might be acceptable under some circumstances.

Edit: Short version. I know AMD/ATI is very open source friendly, but motherboard makers are not. They need a small push in the right direction.
    Last edited by Silverthorn; 08 January 2010, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
      Qualcomm is not enabled for that kind of thinking.
      So?
      What does that have to do with evaluating similarity/compatibility with existing R600 drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
        Edit: Short version. I know AMD/ATI is very open source friendly, but motherboard makers are not. They need a small push in the right direction.
        i think we need something like apple, for opensource software.
        a company thats trying to make hardware and software work together as good as possible. but without all the drm and patentcrap apple is trying to pull
        Last edited by Pfanne; 09 January 2010, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X