Using NVIDIA's VDPAU On Mobile Platforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brent View Post
    Sorry, but these benchmarks are crap, for several reasons.

First (*), using CPU-based decoding, the file does not play in realtime. No word about that in the article; it almost looks like the author failed to notice or understand it.
    The Atom 330 (not N330, which does not exist, by the way) is a dual-core w/ SMT and appears as 4 logical cores. This means 25% CPU load in the graph represent full load on one core. The other cores are not used at all - MPlayer is single-threaded.

Second, hardware accelerated colorspace conversion should be activated when gl2 is used for best results. The suboption "yuv=2" does that.

Third, knowing (*) it doesn't make sense to compare power consumption.

Fourth, the sample is very low on bitrate. Please use a somewhat more demanding sample. Try this, for example: http://www.stfcc.org/misc/SAMPLE-Clo...264-CtrlHD.mkv
    There is a multithreaded mplayer .. your sample is not playable at all on a 2.66ghz core 2 duo but works fine on the same machine with mplayer-mt. (And I agree that the benchmark is a joke).

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      Fourth, the sample is very low on bitrate. Please use a somewhat more demanding sample. Try this, for example: http://www.stfcc.org/misc/SAMPLE-Clo...264-CtrlHD.mkv
      The cloverfield sample is technically illegal in the US (and other countries) and can't be legally redistributed without consent of the studio. Even use of the clip can be illegal as well. It's a great clip to test but falls well outside "safe and legal" sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
        There is a multithreaded mplayer
        Yes... but it's not usable in mainline MPlayer svn, only git, and obviously wasn't used in this benchmark.

Comment

It is really easy to get mplayer-mt, i have got one script for this to demonstrate how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            It is really easy to get mplayer-mt, i have got one script for this to demonstrate how to do that.
            Kano, your tagline should be changed to "Scriptmaster". Don't deny your dentistry! No matter what the issue is, you always have a script ready to use.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Kano, your tagline should be changed to "Scriptmaster". Don't deny your dentistry! No matter what the issue is, you always have a script ready to use.
              I think you mean "destiny" not "dentistry." :-)

By the way, that video is very resource-intensive. It slows down when playing with VDPAU on my 8600mGT. (The CPU usage is only 5-6%, though.)

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm
                I think you mean "destiny" not "dentistry." :-)
                Nope, that was on purpose.

Comment

Working...
                X