Radeon HD 5770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi.
    I'm too considering moving to a HD5770 (maybe powercolor pcs+), but i'm used to my 7900gs (and nvidia drivers)... I'm having no issues at all, and i'm afraid of getting lots of issues with an ATI/AMD even with opensource one's...

Since i don't really need a lot of power (but a FullHD Resolution), should i go to and gt250 (smiliar tdp in load to hd5770) or try a (more power eficient) 5770?
    I used it mostly of time for play movies and sometimes play nexuiz (and in win) games like GTR2/Rfactor.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreAPL View Post
      hi.
      I'm too considering moving to a HD5770 (maybe powercolor pcs+), but i'm used to my 7900gs (and nvidia drivers)... I'm having no issues at all, and i'm afraid of getting lots of issues with an ATI/AMD even with opensource one's...

Since i don't really need a lot of power (but a FullHD Resolution), should i go to and gt250 (smiliar tdp in load to hd5770) or try a (more power eficient) 5770?
      I used it mostly of time for play movies and sometimes play nexuiz (and in win) games like GTR2/Rfactor.
      Well... Before I got my current hd4650 card, I had a hd3650 and an old nvidia 7600 gt card.

When I had the hd3650 and the 7600 gt, I felt the nvidia driver were more bugfree than fglrx. (about one and a half year ago).
      Now I really don't see a difference in stability between the two vendors. This is my list of cons and pros for fglrx right now:

Cons with fglrx:
      - Fglrx's xvba isn't quite that stable yet. It works ok for me, but I see some still might have problems with it.
      - With fglrx you have to install a patched Xorg-server for good compositing support (without it, maximizing is death slow)

Pros with fglrx / radeon card:
      - randr works great with fglrx (I don't see that support in nvidia)
      - The current oss drivers works quite well, and is still getting better.
      - Well anything not mentioned in the cons list works quite well. Including wine.

I would choose a radeon card again.

Comment

About 2D performance, i saw in some benchs here in phoronix that opensource version is much better then fglrx, and since i'll use more 2D, maybe i will use them. thanks for opinion.

Comment

Working...
        X