Visual resizing and positioning of external HDMI X displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual resizing and positioning of external HDMI X displays

Happy New Year Michael, Kano, bridgman and everyone else who reads or contributes to phoronix!

My Dad got a Mini 311 over xmas, which features ION LE gfx. I installed karmic for him along with a 185.x series binary NV driver via buntu's drivers tool. All worked fine, that was until we tried hooking it up to a HDMI display!

Now I've had a Mini 10 aka Inspiron 1010 for 6 month or so now and I had a similar problem with mine under Jaunty when I plugged it into a HDMI screen- I could not see my full X desktop as it extended past the borders of the TV display and we were having this same problem. The psb driver is still notoriously lacking under Linux but NV have a much better rep for actually caring about their binary Linux/X drivers so I fully expected this would have been an easily fixed, long solved issue but it seems not to be the case!

Under the Nvidia windows config tool there is a part which allows you to visually resize HDMI displays but as far as I can see there is no equivalent tool in Nvidia's X config GUI, which to me says using HDMI is down to some xorg.conf magic, if you can get it working properly at all? I know you can use xrandr to list displays and set their res or rotation but far as I can tell it has no support for the visual resizing and moving of displays.

The way I want it to work is that, as soon as I plug the netbook into HDMI display, the netbook display deactivates/sleeps and the HDMI display kicks in at a 1080 res (of which the full desktop is positioned and sized so as to be fully visible of course) as the primary display, auto-switching back to the netbook display when unplugged. Is this type of display hotplugging supposed to be working with the ION under karmic? If anyone has this working on an Ion netbook under karmic I'd love to know how!

PS I have noticed that the GNOME panel still has problems with all your applets getting moved and their order changed when you do start messing with displays of varying sizes- still does it in Karmic.

Yast's "Graphics card and Monitor" setup module is actually the only time I've seen visual resizing and positioning of X displays. Yast, which is included in opensuse, is GPL isn't it?

Couldn't the visual display setup part be stripped out and made into a standard part of xorg thats not dependent on yast or opensuse so it could be used under all distros?

Comment

Working...
    X