Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1.35V G.Skill ECO memory on a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.35V G.Skill ECO memory on a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H?

I noticed some incredible-looking (too good to be true?) memory at newegg: G.SKILL ECO Series

Low-latency (cas 7) and low-voltage (1.35V) and not even expensive. I'm trying to figure out what the catch is.

The only thing I can think of to worry about, is that it might fry at too-high voltages (over 1.5V). Does anyone know if a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H can volt its memory down to 1.35V? Or for that matter, on initial powerup will it volt it higher than 1.5V and thereby fry this memory before I can adjust the setting?

If that'll be a problem, who makes AM3 motherboards well suited for memory at such low voltages? This is for a machine that'll be headless, so I don't care about the IGP at all. It'll be powered on 24x7.
    Last edited by Zapitron; 03 January 2010, 05:46 PM.

eh.. I'm ordering and I'll let you all know. :-)

Comment

Oops, forgot to follow up and share. The memory is outstanding, really does run at the timings they said it would. 7-7-7-21 at 1333 MHz and ran memtest86 over a weekend.

The bad news is that the Gigabyte board or its BIOS (I don't know whose fault it really is) insists on volting it at 1.6V minimum, and only lets me adjust it up from there. (Isn't the JEDEC standard 1.5V? Sheesh, they ought to at least support that.) Anyway, the RAM is working ok at 1.6V but from what I've read, that's supposedly bad for it. It might not last long.

So I'd recommend that RAM to others, but not that motherboard (at least for mundane turned-on 24x7 jobs; it might make a nice hotrod, though).

For the next purchase, I'm gonna shop around harder for mobos that let me tweak the voltage down (not just up) and move this RAM in that. If anyone has any suggestions or testimonials about boards that let you run DDR3 at 1.35V, I'd love to hear 'em.

Comment

Working...
      X