Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWM Updated For 2010: X Render Support, Etc

Phoronix: TWM Updated For 2010: X Render Support, Etc

We are just a few days into 2010, but the standard (basic) window manager for X.Org, TWM, has finally received some updates. TWM has been around for 13 years and under the hands of many developers, but is now receiving some new development love from Eeri Kask...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Breathtaking inanity

Comment

Hahaha. I actually found myself using twm yesterday while KDE 4.3 was compiling. I did wonder to myself whether there was something better I could use as a fallback. This is nuts.

Comment

Math

TWM was first released in April 1988 (according to the author), not too long after X Windows came out. It was definitely usable back then - I know as I used it in 1989. I have no idea where you got 13 years from.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          Hahaha. I actually found myself using twm yesterday while KDE 4.3 was compiling. I did wonder to myself whether there was something better I could use as a fallback. This is nuts.
          I use Fluxbox as a fallback. About as lightweight as TWM, but MUCH better. I think I used it as my main WM at one time. E16 is also a decent option.

Comment

The only magical thing about TWM is that it's the only Window Manager included in the Xorg code base.

That is really all there is to it. The majority of the time it's only used for developers that have just finixhed compiling X and are downloading and setting up the build process for whatever they are going to use later on.

Comment

Working...
            X