Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Arena 7.33 Brings Headshots & More

Phoronix: Alien Arena 7.33 Brings Headshots & More

For those of you that still have time off of work from the holidays, there is a new release of the Alien Arena first-person shooter if that piques your interest. Alien Arena 7.33 has been released, which is coming just two months after Alien Arena 7.32. The Alien Arena 7.33 release provides an in-game IRC (Internet Relay Chat) client, support for displaying player rankings within the server browser, a skill-level matchmaker, improved anti-lag code, headshots, improved graphics effects, a new level (dm-deathray), and various optimizations and bug-fixes. Those interested in downloading Alien Arena 7.33, which is free software, can fetch it at PlanetArena.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good update. The new binaries should work with Ubuntu now as well. If you run 64bit, then you either symlink the missing dependencies or compile on your own.

Comment

I downloaded the new version and unpacked it in my ~ folder.

I tried to start the game/binarie (crx) but all I got was that the game got stucked during the audio initialization.

I googled a little bit and found out that the openAl version in ubuntu 9.10 has a bug in it's OSS/PulseAudio backend(s).

I downloaded the recent version, compilied it (cmake/make/sudo make install in the "build" subdirectory) and copied the libs (which are in the "build" subdirectory, too after the compilation) into the /usr/lib directory, after I deleted the previous openAl files there.

It works now...but I thought that it should have been mentioned somewhere.

Comment

There is also a workaround for that bug mentioned here:
        Version 7.33 of Alien Arena has been released today! The new edition of this open sourced, freeware FPS has been updated with a variety of new features, as well as some important bugfixes and optimizations, and last but not least, a brand new level in which to get your frag on! Some of the new features include: In-game IRC client Player rankings in server browser Skill level matchmaker on server info

Comment

Some screenies of the new version:

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
            There is also a workaround for that bug mentioned here:
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1366423
            yeh, I saw that workaround, too.

But I don't want to use the open sound system -> no other application will be able to send signals to the soundchip/card, so I searched for another solution

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
              yeh, I saw that workaround, too.

But I don't want to use the open sound system -> no other application will be able to send signals to the soundchip/card, so I searched for another solution

It only affects the game and not the entire system. I've been running it and it doesn't conflict with my apps. running in the background.

Comment

Working...
              X