No announcement yet.

Best new GPU(s) for triple-head setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best new GPU(s) for triple-head setup?

I have recently acquired a third LCD and want to extend my existing dual-head desktop onto it. My current graphics card (ATi x1900GT) is unable to drive more than two monitors at once and it also is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I will be replacing it. I haven't run more than two displays at once, so I am wondering what's the best way to go about this. My motherboard can run two GPUs if needed as it has two PCIe x16 slots (NF4 SLi chipset.) The CPU isn't all that fast, so anything more then a midrange card will be useless in my system. Here's what I was considering:

1. Radeon HD 5750, as I can connect all three displays to the same card. I just don't know if that is supported at the moment with the fglrx drivers, since my x1900GT has been using the Xorg Radeon drivers for some time and I've fallen out of the loop with what's supported by fglrx.

2. Two midrange NVIDIA GPUs like the GT 240/9600 GT with the three displays spanned across the two cards. I do like the fact that the NVIDIA cards do CUDA and VDPAU video playback, but I don't know if the NVIDIA drivers can support spanning a desktop across multiple GPUs.

If I'm way off in left field here, please say so.

Keep in mind that for the 5750 to drive three monitors, one of them needs to have a DisplayPort connector. Or you need an active DP->DVI adapter (the expensive kind).
    Also the Eyefinity page says that Eyefinity is not yet supported in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      Keep in mind that for the 5750 to drive three monitors, one of them needs to have a DisplayPort connector. Or you need an active DP->DVI adapter (the expensive kind).
      Also the Eyefinity page says that Eyefinity is not yet supported in Linux.
      Nuts. Well, it turns out that the monitor blew a inverter anyway, so I'm just looking for a normal dual-DVI GPU instead of something funky. I'm looking at one of the normal (600 MHz core) NVIDIA 9800GTs as a replacement as the HD 5750 is a bit more expensive than I'd like and the 9800GT is significantly more powerful than anything ATi has in the same $75-100 price range. Makes you wish TSMC could get their act together so ATi can ship HD 4770s in the intended $85 price point...

Comment

see this thread (skip the posts from svrocket )
        Triple monitor options

Comment

Working...
        X