Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Linux 2009 Year In Review

Phoronix: ATI Linux 2009 Year In Review

Compared to past years when recapping the AMD/ATI Linux advancements over the past calendar year, 2009 was not quite as exciting, which can be viewed as both good and bad for their Catalyst Linux driver. There were many advancements this year on AMD's open-source side, but in 2009 there wasn't as many milestones for their Catalyst driver like in the past with the introduction of CrossFire, OverDrive, same-day Linux support, the AMD Catalyst Control Center, and other new features. Here is our 2009 year in review look at AMD's advancements to their proprietary Catalyst Linux driver along with our annual benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have written my own "ATI Linux 2009 Year In Review" for the open source drivers.

AWESOME!

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
      I have written my own "ATI Linux 2009 Year In Review" for the open source drivers.

AWESOME!
      +1 Agreed!

EDIT:
      BTW, my first AMD hardware entered the house previous week because of the OS support guys. Thanks and keep it up!
      Last edited by MaestroMaus; 28 December 2009, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Here is the Radeon Status Matrix from 29/12-2008 =)

The ChangeLog is here

But I like this one a lot more =D

Not forgetting the Gallium work, which might leap jump classic Mesa.
        Last edited by Louise; 29 December 2009, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Except for a decent video acceleration on UVD 1 I actually don't need that much feature releases anymore. Bugfix releases are much more urgent. At least for a composited desktop, the reliability of fglrx is still a nightmare. Normally, I don't even bother reporting most of the crashes though because for one thing there's so many of them and more importantly, no one ever replied to any of the bugs I did file. How about a support fix release of Catalyst? I really appreciate bridgman being active around here but some more activity on the bug tracker from any of the developers would be a good New Year's resolution from my point of view.

Comment

The first test is absolutely useless, as you have to use opengl video output with forced vsync when you don't want to see tearing. xv is pure pain with fglrx.

Comment

My personal ATI Linux Year in Review:

Finally fixed several wine bugs.
              Finally got compositing actually usable.
              Finally fixed random hard locks for the 3800 series.

Much more important to me that any new feature. I feel sorry for the people that are still waiting on XvBA though.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                Yes, seeing that RadeonFeature in comparison with the old one you can really see a difference. And I note it, too since I switched away from fglrx (that never ran on this box due to lame kernel/X support, but I actually needed at least a 2.6.29.x for the mainboard to work). I just hope to see all that R600+ stuff getting to fly soon, and please with power management.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  Yes, seeing that RadeonFeature in comparison with the old one you can really see a difference. And I note it, too since I switched away from fglrx (that never ran on this box due to lame kernel/X support, but I actually needed at least a 2.6.29.x for the mainboard to work). I just hope to see all that R600+ stuff getting to fly soon, and please with power management.
                  Yeah, and not forgetting the Gallium work, which we didn't even have for a year ago

Comment

Needs Fedora 12 support.

Comment

Working...
                    X