Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netbook for playing HD video (via HDMI on big screen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey sspphheerraa, what solution did you go for in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by spangeman View Post
      Hey sspphheerraa, what solution did you go for in the end?
      nothing yet...
      I think to wait when there will be more nVidia ION netbooks (actually I like Dell, maybe they will make it).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        It's going to be hard for them to take on the Atom solutions on price. If anything intel has shown over the past that they are willing to drop prices to take on competition.
        I'm not that convinced that ARM netbooks are a good idea, but if I remember correctly the dual-ARM + DSP 720p-capable chips I used to work with a few years ago cost about $5 in bulk, so I can't easily see Intel competing with an ARM-based solution on price.

As someone else said, the problem with the Beagleboard is that it's expensive and limited (hard to build an HTPC without SATA, for example), so in most cases there's little benefit to using it over an $80 dual-core Atom board.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
          I'm not that convinced that ARM netbooks are a good idea, but if I remember correctly the dual-ARM + DSP 720p-capable chips I used to work with a few years ago cost about $5 in bulk, so I can't easily see Intel competing with an ARM-based solution on price.
          Well if the past is any indication about intel's willingness to low ball their competition they will just bundle ion sales with other processors making them essentially free. How many times have they been in court over their bundling and low ball tactics and they still say "business as usual".

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Well if the past is any indication about intel's willingness to low ball their competition they will just bundle ion sales with other processors making them essentially free.
            True, they could somehow find a means to give away Atoms with other components; but for decent HD playback from an Atom you need an Ion chipset, so they'd just be funneling sales to Nvidia instead.

And I believe the Ion chip costs tens of dollars, so even with a free CPU that's still going to have a hard time competing on price with an ARM + DSP that might cost $10. Probably depends on whether people would be willing to pay an extra $50 to have an x86 CPU instead of an ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
              True, they could somehow find a means to give away Atoms with other components; but for decent HD playback from an Atom you need an Ion chipset, so they'd just be funneling sales to Nvidia instead.

And I believe the Ion chip costs tens of dollars, so even with a free CPU that's still going to have a hard time competing on price with an ARM + DSP that might cost $10. Probably depends on whether people would be willing to pay an extra $50 to have an x86 CPU instead of an ARM.
              Well instead of a ion they could just slap in one of those new Broadcom chips.

Comment

That will not help you as the new Atom still has got only VGA output. If you need hdmi you need Ion2, which is most likely relatively slow due to PCI-E 1x connection only.

Comment

Originally posted by sspphheerraa View Post
                  nothing yet...
                  I think to wait when there will be more nVidia ION netbooks (actually I like Dell, maybe they will make it).
                  if you can wait a while.. there are some pretty awesome ARM netbooks/smartbooks coming out. Eg.: http://www.thinkpads.com/2010/01/05/...ght-smartbook/

this has hdmi output and decodes 720p HD, but the newer dual-core snapdragon chips are apparently coming out midyear and will handle 1080p - presumably there will be netbooks based on these about then too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    That will not help you as the new Atom still has got only VGA output. If you need hdmi you need Ion2, which is most likely relatively slow due to PCI-E 1x connection only.
                    Well the PCI-E 1x connection isn't a bottle neck when it comes to vdpau playback as we have already seen that a PCI 8400GS is capable enough to play 1080p content just fine when coupled with a regular atom. There are also vendors out there thta plan on using a LVDS-to-HDMI signal converter as well such as Zotac.

Comment

Yeah, Lenovo Skylight smartbook seems to be a good choice. But will it come to Ukraine...
                      As for nVidia ION, I think about
                      Lenovo S12
                      Samsung N510
                      and
                      HP mini 311

I like samsung more, because it's matt (other ones are glossy). But I'm still not sure. May be better to wait Asus eeePC on the base of ION 2?

Comment

Working...
                      X