Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KMS and 3D is working but...

I have a Radeon HD 4350.
    I have KMS and 3D working, but there are still some issues and don't know if they are bugs and/or how to deal with them.

My main monitor runs with a 1920x1200 resolution on the DVI port.
    When I start a 3D application in 3D mode, my monitor turns blank and I have to restart xorg to see anything again.
    Recently I added a second Monitor on the VGA port with 1280x1024 resolution. Now I see that I do indeed get 3D fullscreen, just on the wrong monitor.

Usually, when I start Xorg, I get my output on the main monitor and "input not supported" on the secondary.
    If I start a fullscreen 3D app, my primary monitor switches off, the secondary on gets the output. When I stop the application, my secondary monitor gets "input not supported" again but my primary monitor doesn't switch on again. I have to restart Xorg.

Then I start both monitors using the following command:
    Code:
    xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1280x1024 --output DVI-0 --mode 1920x1200 --left-of VGA-0
    Everything works as it should, as far as I can see.

If I now start a 3D fullscreen app, I get the output on the secondary monitor and the primary stays on, I just can't access it with my mouse.
    But when I stop the application, my primary monitor turns off!
    I can use the command above to get both working again. Only once did I get some sort of bug, when I started an application using the XV extension. The performance got horrible, I could hardly move my windows. But this only happened once.

My second problem is probably much easier and concerns KMS.
    My console is only relatively small, occupying a part of my big screen.
    I see the message
    Code:
    TV-9: set mode 800x600 30
    Can I configure KMS to give my my full 1920x1200 screen? That would be nice!

Despite these problems I am amazed how stable everything is. Even using the XV extension and 3D I have not yet provoked a single hang. I could always switch consoles and to and from X without any problems.

IIRC, the xvidmode extension which is what some 3d apps use to change modes doesn't support xrandr 1.2 very well so it tend to mangle the output state (i.e., it messes with the wrong crtc or output).

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      IIRC, the xvidmode extension which is what some 3d apps use to change modes doesn't support xrandr 1.2 very well so it tend to mangle the output state (i.e., it messes with the wrong crtc or output).
      I can understand if xrandr support is not yet perfect, but could I get at least the output on the correct monitor before using xrandr?
      This doesn't have anything to do with xrandr, does it?

Comment

I think Alex is saying this is a problem with xvidmode (which is probably used by the 3D app), not with xrandr.
        Test signature

Comment

xvidmode is an old extension that pre-dates xrandr. xvidmode has no concept of multiple display controllers (it was designed when chips had one output), so it sometimes does the wrong thing when you have a card with multiple outputs due to bugs in the compatibility layer with some xservers.

Comment

Working...
          X