AMD Publishes Evergreen Shader Documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Louise View Post
    Now, why do I download the specs everytime AMD releases something? I know I don't understand any of it
    So that whenever the 'net's down, or you're otherwise bored, you can become a top-notch graphics driver dev?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      I think they both know how the ATI cards work
      I don't think so. Haven't you seen all the Larabee -> Nottobee jokes?

I telling you, since AMD bought ATi, Intel have wanting to buy nVidia. There is just NO doubt. The only question is the price.

And now when nVidia want to make x86 CPU's, Intel do not want another competitor, so buying nVidia is even more important.

And with Nottobee, Intel have no choice but to buy nVidia, if they want to stay in the marked.
      Last edited by Louise; 23 December 2009, 05:15 AM.

Comment

I don't think so. Haven't you seen all the Larabee -> Nottobee jokes?

I telling you, since AMD bought nVidia, Intel have wanting to buy nVidia. There is just NO doubt. The only question is the price.

And now when nVidia want to make x86 CPU's, Intel do not want another competitor, so buying nVidia is even more important.

And with Nottobee, Intel have no choice but to buy nVidia, if they want to stay in the marked.
        Won't happen, FTC has their claws into intel now and would pretty much crush any such idea of intel aquiring nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Won't happen, FTC has their claws into intel now and would pretty much crush any such idea of intel aquiring nvidia.
          Yes, I hope you are right. it would be really bad if Intel were allowed to buy nVidia.

Check this blog out.

It is very scary, how much Intel is pushing to buy nVidia.

Comment

I telling you, since AMD bought nVidia...
            You mean AMD bought ATI right?

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
              You mean AMD bought ATI right?
              Ups. Yes. Now corrected

Comment

Yes, I hope you are right. it would be really bad if Intel were allowed to buy nVidia.

Check this blog out.

It is very scary, how much Intel is pushing to buy nVidia.
                Well... if intel buys nvidia... in the hours following the deal Keith P. will likely release the hardware programming manuals.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
                  Well... if intel buys nvidia... in the hours following the deal Keith P. will likely release the hardware programming manuals.
                  It is going to take Intel just as long as AMD to release specs. The legal review is the bottleneck, from what I could gather.

I'd rather see Samsung, IBM or Oracle buy nVidia.
                  Last edited by Louise; 23 December 2009, 06:39 AM.

Comment

It is going to take Intel just as long as AMD to release specs. The legal review is the bottleneck, from what I could gather.

I'd rather see Samsung, IBM or Oracle buy nVidia.
                    I don't think so. AMD has to be careful, indeed, and seeing the lag between the evil closed driver and the release of hardware programming info, they are *very very very very very* carefull.
                    Intel on the other hand does not fear anybody, they are *ways* bigger than AMD... AMD should hurry its legal review process to speed up releases of documentation/code. If they are fast enough, they will have complete and good open source support and will phase out nvidia chips from the pro market. And if they do not screw "fusion", they will storm the mass market, if intel has not bought nvidia or takes too much time to merge nvidia GPUs with their CPUs.

IBM could be one contender indeed... but from an open source advocate point of view, it's exactly like intel:we will have quickly the programming specs released, IBM is *huge* and a big fan of Linux. Fermi stuff is eye blinking towards IBM data crunching market. But it better be amazing (ways better than AMD), if not... I was told the power 6 is amazing for complexe data crunching that a GPU cannot do because of the constraints of shader programs.

Samsung? Their flat screens run GNU/Linux... and they are more electronic integrators. I don't see them taking on the complexity of modern GPUs... but that may be fresh air for samsung. If they leverage GPU power with GNU/Linux *directly* in flat panels, that could kill brands PC as we know it: domestic use of a computer seeks less cables and devices and TV DPIs are reaching those of computer flat panels.

oracle?????? WTF? Oracle going hardware? Able to buy after Sun deal?

More over, if nvidia releases the programming specs now, that would increase its value price since it would become open source friendly.

Everything works in our favor. The only missing bit is what microsoft will do in the shadows to hurt us.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
                      oracle?????? WTF? Oracle going hardware? Able to buy after Sun deal?
                      Sorry. I wrote Oracle, but I meant VMware

But hey why not Oracle? If they can find a way to use GPU's for databases, they probably consider buying anything they can get

How knows? They might even buy AMD?

Comment

Working...
                      X