No announcement yet.

AMD Publishes Evergreen Shader Documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we released the first set of specs back in 2007 everyone was sitting around Matthew Garrett's living room watching who was downloading the docs.

Most of the sites were predictable but some (at least one prison, for example) were a surprise.
    Test signature

Comment

I guess Intel and nVidia were the first to download

They are probably the biggest supports for the open sourcing

Comment

Thank you ATI / AMD.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          ...at least one prison.
          Hans Reiser?

Comment

As a 5850 owner, this is great news! On a side note, is it clear yet if the drivers will require 2.6.33+ kernels? KMS will, obviously, but what about 2D acceleration and xv?

Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
            The upcoming Atom N450 "Pine Trail" also comes with a GMA500 derivate,
            GMA 3150 is based on GMA 3100.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              ...prison... Hans Reiser?
              LOL! I resisted to ask that question.

But is there any other interesting outcome of the who downloaded it? Were there really nv and intel interested (probably yes)? How did you monitor? Just by IP address?
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

You should assume the code will go into the 2.6.33 (hopefully) or higher kernel trees. It's often possible to patch the drm code onto a slighly older kernel, so far I think 2.6.33-on-2.6.32 is working ok (although no guarantees from the devs). It should be possible to backport the code into older kernels on a distro-by-distro basis since the addition of new HW support usually has a very low risk of breaking existing support.

The docco download information came off the server logs; I figured it was IP address plus a reverse lookup but didn't ask.

Apparently there were ~72,000 doc downloads in the first five hours... maybe 10-20 people used the documentation to work on the driver but I'm not sure what all the rest of the downloads were used for
                Last edited by bridgman; 22 December 2009, 03:57 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                  I guess Intel and nVidia were the first to download
                  I think they both know how the ATI cards work

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Apparently there were ~72,000 doc downloads in the first five hours... maybe 10-20 people used the documentation to work on the driver but I'm not sure what all the rest of the downloads were used for
                    lol, never underestimate the data packrat mentality, you think 2 TB hard drives that are bought are actually used to store stuff that people will use on a regular basis?

There was a article recently that showed the amount of times people accessed their saved data. IIRC it wound up being that less then 1% of all data on the harddrive was accessed more then once. If I can find the article again I'll post the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                      Now, why do I download the specs everytime AMD releases something? I know I don't understand any of it
                      Because you can? Oh the joy's of open documentation...

Comment

Working...
                      X