No announcement yet.

ASUS Eee PC 1201N On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a full KDE4 desktop, with everything but compositing.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
      After "ItIsBetterWithWondows" campaign [...]
      That was a hoax.

Originally posted by Apopas
      Advertise means to propagandise the benefits of your products, not to FUD against the competitors ones.
      I'm not picky with english, only with language: "propagandise" is not "advertise".

By the way, the FSF knows a couple of things about mud throwing, only that in their case these are not urban legends.

The first one is an accetable advertise for deanjo while the second one is an insult to Apopas and that's what Asus did. So no, while I won't agree against the Phoronix Asus reviews like some proposed, I won't buy Asus products again since they didn't advertise but insulted (even with lies in some cases).
      Unfortunately the hoax site is down so I can't take a closer look at it myself. The funny thing is that, even according to what I could gather from sites belonging to very-angry-people, the whole thing was nothing out of the cosmos:

"Windows helps you easily get online and connect to your devices and services - without dealing with an unfamiliar environment or major compatiblity issues."
      If this sentence is the highlight, some people should really have a sanity check. I wonder who could disagree with this after reading what Mr Larabel had to do to get wireless working on his brand new netbook.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
        That was a hoax.
        I didn't hear a single word from Asus though against their relevance with that site.

I'm not picky with english, only with language: "propagandise" is not "advertise".
        Yes it is a form of propaganda. I learnt this to the highschool and then to the uni, unfortunately these books are in greek to make a quotation.

edit: I found a quote in wikipedia.
        Sut Jhally writes: “20. century advertising is the most powerful and sustained system of propaganda in human history.
        Sut Jhally is a professor of Communication at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and is a cultural studies scholar in the area of advertising, media, and consumption.

Something similar say and two greek encyclopedias I have here. One old from 70s and one new from 2002.

By the way, the FSF knows a couple of things about mud throwing, only that in their case these are not urban legends.
        As does microsoft. Since both are the main makers of Linux and windows as software. Hardware manufacturers should stay indepedent.
        The 7 sins are urban legends acording to you?

Unfortunately the hoax site is down so I can't take a closer look at it myself. The funny thing is that, even according to what I could gather from sites belonging to very-angry-people, the whole thing was nothing out of the cosmos:
        Pity is down indeed. We would have fun with you trying to unprove the obvious as you always do.

If this sentence is the highlight, some people should really have a sanity check. I wonder who could disagree with this after reading what Mr Larabel had to do to get wireless working on his brand new netbook.
        This argumentation spreads the belief that if you buy a netbook with Linux installed then you will have major compatibility issues which is not the case.
        Now with the "unfamilliar environment" is as if they say, "don't try something different than what you got used to do".
        Last edited by Apopas; 28 December 2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I didn't hear a single word from Asus though against their relevance with that site.
          So? Does that imply anything? Were you expecting an official communication from Asus because somebody trolled you? Or are you just leaving an implicit question mark to let us all in doubt? What do you think, based on what you know? Do you believe that Microsoft and Asus--the company that popularised linux on netbooks--came up with a badly designed site without linking to and from it, full of spelling mistakes and inconsistencies unheard of in a corporative web page, advertising an outdated OS and using a domain registered by GoDaddy instead of Microsoft or Asus, with the purpose of launching a FUD campaign against linux of which there is no trace some months later except for the initial knee-jerk reactions from several tech oriented blogs and sites? Really, I am asking you, what do you think?

Yes it is a form of propaganda. I learnt this to the highschool and then to the uni, unfortunately these books are in greek to make a quotation.
          I grant you that the word propapanda can be used to refer to advertising, but in a much broader context and in more complex discourses than what you seemed to be doing. This is, if you are making a critique of capitalist society, the emptiness of consumerism habits and the way these are shaped and thrown at us throughout the mass media, you may perfectly say that "advertising is a propaganda system". On the other hand, if you are simply giving a layman's term definition of what advertising is, the term propaganda does not come into play. Of course, if you really had in mind something more elaborated than a simple definition, you'll have to forgive me for not expecting this kind of talk from a single line forum chit-chat. If that was the case, however, it doesn't make any sense to complain about the lack of ethics in advertising (the FUD accusation) when you think about the great scheme of things and the role the advertising industry plays in it.

As does microsoft. Since both are the main makers of Linux and windows as software. Hardware manufacturers should stay indepedent.
          The 7 sins are urban legends acording to you?
          I don't recognise the FSF as the "main maker of Linux". Even if they were, I don't understand why you accept FUD tactics from them and not from others. Either the same rules apply to all or no rules at all. I didn't say that the 7 sins fiasco is an urban legend; what I meant is that while the Asus/Ms FUD was a hoax, the "BadVista" and "W7 sins" were not. In other words, the FSF actually spends part of their energies, money and resources in scaremongering campaigns. That Microsoft, the Pope or the prime minister of Canada do the same is of exactly zero relevance here.

Pity is down indeed. We would have fun with you trying to unprove the obvious as you always do.
          That doesn't leave me under a very good light, does it? Not only I spend my time writing comments trying to "unprove" things (which by definition were already proved, so I have to be a real idiot to pursue this impossible enterprise), but were also of an "obvious" nature. On top of that, since you didn't kindly take the opportunity to correct my babbling at the right moment and teach me something--and perhaps also to some others who were as confused as I was--now I have to accept that I was always in the wrong. Next time please let me know, so I have the opportunity to retort. Respect, brotha.

This argumentation spreads the belief that if you buy a netbook with Linux installed then you will have major compatibility issues which is not the case.
          Have you read the article? Did the wireless work out of the box? What Linux distribution should Joe Six-pack install to have that netbook up and running without hassle? How many more examples like this would you need to accept that Linux lacks the hardware support that Windows enjoys, for x, y or z reasons?

Now with the "unfamilliar environment" is as if they say, "don't try something different than what you got used to do".
          Agreed. "Withouth dealing with an unfamiliar environment" means exactly what it says. They are not passing any value judgment to the reader, which they could if it said "without dealing with a complicated/primitive/inefficient/retarded/whatever environment". That sentence, as it reads originally, is only playing with the sense of insecurity usually associated with the unknown.

All in all, nothing particularly unethical or surprising for a (hypothetical) ad, and surely not "an insult" to Linux or a bunch of lies (it is true indeed) that would justify a boycott. Not in my book, at least.

Comment

Hmmm all your arguments would lead to a serious debate, like a lot I had and enjoyed in these forums and like one we had few months ago which, unfortunately, ended with you insulting me and others. I've told you this again. Too bad from me I begun again a conversation with you. I shouldn't have at all. Not because I disagree with you, that happens with many and it can be fun, but because I never forgive insults and bad manners.
            I'm sorry.
            Last edited by Apopas; 28 December 2009, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Once again, as a Linux consumer, I'm not paying for a Microsoft OS. Period. This is a Windows 7 advertisement, as it is, sorry Phoronix. Try reviewing some actual Linux netbooks sometime, or tell us all how to get the Microsoft tax reimbursed. They've been bribed to remove Linux from their models, so yes, I agree with the comments here that Asus is anti-Linux. Regardless of past transgressions though, I'd probably buy an Asus netbook, or any other brand, IF:

1) It doesn't come with Windows, or if it does it is easy to get the cash refunded back.

2) If it does come with Linux, it is CHEAPER than the same netbook with Windows. Otherwise, you're still being !@#$ed over. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if in this case the same cut of money is going to Microsoft.
              Last edited by Yfrwlf; 30 December 2009, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                They've been bribed to remove Linux from their models,
                Proof of bribery is where?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  Hmmm all your arguments would lead to a serious debate, like a lot I had and enjoyed in these forums and like one we had few months ago which, unfortunately, ended with you insulting me and others. I've told you this again. Too bad from me I begun again a conversation with you. I shouldn't have at all. Not because I disagree with you, that happens with many and it can be fun, but because I never forgive insults and bad manners.
                  I'm sorry.
                  I have not insulted you in any way, neither now nor in the past. This is the second time you bring this forth--without pointing out any specific example of what is it that offends you--and in all sincerity, I'm having trouble to avoid thinking that you are being dishonest. I invite you to read calmly my post again--I did several times and I can not find anything that would elicit an answer like yours.

Comment

I'm not obviously refering to this specific post. Go back few months when we had a discussion about macs and pdfs with you saying that you wasted your time with us. I doubt you have even forgot it. If you feel you waste your time with me, I feel the same as well. Logical reaction.
                    Ofcourse you could mean something different than the obvious and I got it in the wrong way. This happens to forums often. But despite the reaction of the guys who had joined the "conversation" and obviously saw your comment as a direct insult, you didn't even try to tell an excuse or at least just "sorry I didn't mean that in the way you saw it guys".

Comment

I'm not obviously refering to this specific post. Go back few months when we had a discussion about macs and pdfs with you saying that you wasted your time with us. I doubt you have even forgot it. If you feel you waste your time with me, I feel the same as well. Logical reaction.
                      Ofcourse you could mean something different than the obvious and I got it in the wrong way. This happens to forums often. But despite the reaction of the guys who had joined the "conversation" and obviously saw your comment as a direct insult, you didn't even try to tell an excuse or at least just "sorry I didn't mean that in the way you saw it guys".
                      Now I just don't understand you. You replied normally and extensively to one of my posts in this thread, and in the next one you stop talking because I offended you. That's why I thought you were refering to this thread's post. If you talk to me I can't possibly imagine that you still have issues.

Of course I remember that other discussion, more than anything else because I got extremely irritated, and I shouldn't. But yes, I was constantly provoked--not by you--and finally exploded. In any case, the worst I said was that I had wasted my time with you and implied that you were not aware of some user scenarios other than your own ("break your bubble, dude"). The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure the other person involved in that thread and myself don't keep any bad feelings against each other, while you do (funny because with you it was mostly an OKish conversation). I'm not going to give you any bullshit: I would've never apologized for saying what I said by then. Now, despite that I still don't consider it to be a grave insult, I don't want to hit your wall everytime you post something. So: sorry about that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X