Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Eee PC 1201N On Linux

Phoronix: ASUS Eee PC 1201N On Linux

For the past year my netbook of choice has been the Samsung NC10 as while it shipped with stock Intel Atom hardware like other netbooks such as the Dell Mini 9 and earlier ASUS Eee PCs, the Samsung was built very well and possessed a rather large and well laid out keyboard for only being a 10.6" mobile computer. Catching my attention recently though has been the ASUS Eee PC 1201N netbook, which packs quite a bit of horsepower with offering the Intel Atom 330 dual-core CPU and NVIDIA's ION platform to provide compelling graphics capabilities. The Eee PC 1201N also ships with 2GB of RAM, a 250GB hard drive, and a 1366 x 768 display that measures in at 12.1". Oh yeah, ASUS claims a several hour battery life for this $500 USD netbook too along with a full-size keyboard. As was alluded to last week, I ended up purchasing the ASUS Eee PC 1201N as soon as it was made available on the Internet. This is now the initial Phoronix rundown on the 1201N for how it works with Ubuntu Linux, including many benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

High battery consumption and operating temperatures at $500 USD.
    I for one feel it is more of a laptop/notebook than netbook.
    And it includes the MS tax. Because Asus and MS are so good together in bed.

I'll wait for a cheap FOSS ARM netbook.

Comment

After "ItIsBetterWithWondows" campaign, Asus (my ex-favorite HW maker) is out of shopping list.
      IMHO, such behavior should be punished by community. Thus I see this review as very bad idea. All this because their ANTI Linux approach. Most companies are not friendly, but they at least doing no harm. Asus and Lenovo are both running campaign AGAINST Linux.
      I think it would be nice to have a poll here at Phoronix to see if people DO want to read reviews of Asus and Lenovo products. If they ban us, we should at least do the same

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
        I think it would be nice to have a poll here at Phoronix to see if people DO want to read reviews of Asus and Lenovo products. If they ban us, we should at least do the same
        I don't think it's a realistic plan to "ban" companies that market their products with windows, since you'd end up banning 90% of the market... I agree that ASUS especially has been a disappointment lately, by using Linux only when it suits them (SplashTop, Routers, Storage products) and dumping it unceremoniously out of their laptop/netbook lines -- but other companies are even worse. Except Dell, with their half-hearted Linux support (it's almost as if they're ashamed of doing it), and the few and far-between Linux-specialized vendors, all others want a share of the marketing money that MS certainly is throwing in their direction for these campaigns. Perhaps if ASUS didn't try forcing that crippled Xandros thing on it's users and had installed a real distro instead, they wouldn't have had high return rates on the Linux netbooks and they'd still be selling them; as such, the price for the "Starter" version of win7 is so low (around 15$ IIRC) that it's more cost effective to simply supply that crippled joke of an OS instead of the headaches of returns.

Anyway, back on topic... I think the most interesting part of this review are the significant advantages of using 64bit! A few years ago you'd still see applications that performed better in 32bit, but today it seems most have been optimized and some even have outstanding gains in performance! There really is absolutely no excuse to run in 32bit anymore if even a measly Atom is slowed down by it. What's more, the proprietary apps have mostly been ported, especially flash -- skype and googleearth still lag behind but work with ia32 emulation.

The downside to all this is the battery consumption and temperature. From the graphs and from my own testing, it seems that Atom has very poor power management support in Linux. With my netbook (N270, 3cell battery) I get 2:30h in Vista and about 1:50h with Linux, that's almost 30% less for basic Internet browsing over WiFi! Also, the temperature is a lot higher and the fan runs a lot more under Linux, while in win it's almost inaudible... Other sites had similar disappointing results. I think that's a quite important issue that needs to be solved soon, perhaps by a distro investing some developer time, otherwise we're not going to see many Linux laptops and netbooks anytime soon...

Comment

maybe you run ubuntu which is in 3d mode all the time because of compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
            After "ItIsBetterWithWondows" campaign, Asus (my ex-favorite HW maker) is out of shopping list.
            IMHO, such behavior should be punished by community. Thus I see this review as very bad idea. All this because their ANTI Linux approach. Most companies are not friendly, but they at least doing no harm. Asus and Lenovo are both running campaign AGAINST Linux.
            So you stoop to their level and tell Phoronix to do the exact same thing that your accusing Asus and Levono of except reverse. This product that was reviewed has less issues then many other netbooks and with a bit effort becomes fully linux compatible (unlike many others) with a much needed performance increase to netbooks.

Comment

Shame on asus for branding this under netbook/eee branding.
              This is a full blown laptop.

Characteristics that define a netbook:
              1) under 10",
              2) SSD *ONLY*.
              ** despite the difficulty in obtaining an SSD netbook these days, I still consider it a critical element of the concept for the following reasons;
              a) due to the size, a netbook WILL get bashed around more,
              b) due to the size, a netbook WILL have a smaller battery (and therefore need to be more efficient on power),
              c) due to the PURPOSE, a netbook must have negligible disk read delays -- writes are less important since it isn't a data processing center.

Comment

Originally posted by mgc8 View Post
                I don't think it's a realistic plan to "ban" companies that market their products with windows, since you'd end up banning 90% of the market... I agree that ASUS especially has been a disappointment lately, by using Linux only when it suits them (SplashTop, Routers, Storage products) and dumping it unceremoniously out of their laptop/netbook lines -- but other companies are even worse. Except Dell, with their half-hearted Linux support (it's almost as if they're ashamed of doing it), and the few and far-between Linux-specialized vendors, all others want a share of the marketing money that MS certainly is throwing in their direction for these campaigns.
                I see a huge difference between companies not actively promoting their Linux options (Dell, HP), companies that even does not offer Linux options (Sony, Samsung) and companies like Asus that took huge revenue and market share on the back of Linux offering that allowed very attractive price points and then not only dumping it, but actively advertising against it. Lenovo is little bit better, but still, when CEO (or CTO, can't remember) saying that Windows is better with reasons being copied from MS campaigns, I see it at least as dishonesty. It clearly shows, that the last thing they think about is customer. I don't like companies which will sell their mothers to slavery for few cents.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  So you stoop to their level and tell Phoronix to do the exact same thing that your accusing Asus and Levono of except reverse. This product that was reviewed has less issues then many other netbooks and with a bit effort becomes fully linux compatible (unlike many others) with a much needed performance increase to netbooks.
                  No, I just say it kind of inappropriate to advertise someone that "insults" you and more important with LIES. If you allow such behavior, you might expose yourself to even more serious problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    maybe you run ubuntu which is in 3d mode all the time because of compiz.
                    This is pure trolling.

Compiz does not run in 3D mode "all the time". It only uses it when necessary for the effects. You can prove that to yourself by examining powertop in any decent driver (intel or r200), or hook up an old Geforce FX card and turn on/off the transparent cube a few times - you'll notice a visible drop in text legibility when the cube is showing due to the GeForce's poor quality 3D texture filtering, whereas it renders in 2D mode with no blurriness when idle.

Comment

Working...
                    X