No announcement yet.

Triple monitor options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried the Matrox DualHead2Go (Digital). Sadly for those of us that are used to 1920x1200 output over DVI will not be happy with the output of the device. Small fonts are no longer crisp causing eye strain. This is probably due to the VGA signal received from the machine.

Otherwise it provides great 3d performance over 3 monitors. You have to use a fake xinerama though, but as long as thats setup, your winodw manager and all your programs think you are running 3 displays, not 1 regular one and one ultra-size display.

Anyways, the TripleHead2Go Digital is DVI straight through, so I'm going to try that out instead. Then ditch that once eyefinity is real for Linux.

Comment

yah :S eyefinity seems to be the way to go in the future - Nvidia needs to answer that call as well but I've heard nothing..

Videos of my setup - using the hacked Xserver-XGL method -

Provider of professional consulting services utilizing Application Development and Data Migration to eliminate IT Costs and Labor. Areas of expertise include Adobe Flash and Flex Web Application Development and GUI Design, VMware (All Products), Red Hat, Ubuntu, and other Linux distributions, Microsoft Products and Development, MySQL Database Admin and Design, Network and Systems Design and Implementation.

- Shane

Comment

Triple monitors

Originally posted by jason26 View Post
        I'm currently using 3 monitors over 2 nvidia cards. While it works for the most part, it does have its downsides - one is lack of composite support.

What are my ATI options for driving 3 monitors from Linux. Is it going to be any better than NVidia?

Thanks.

In ATI your option is to haul out some big cash and get yourself any of the 5000 series of the cards. They all handle triple monitors out the back of the card with no extras, and one card. Otherwise you can use the Matrox triple-head-to-go box. This uses one input from your video card and then drives three screens. This is very popular with flightsim folks like myself.

Cheers
        Screwbottle

Comment

I don't know if this is useful information.
          But I got fglrx working with my tv (hdmi) + crt (vga) + the my laptop panel without any problems. With compositing too.

xrandr works quite nice with the fglrx drivers. But you probably have to buy a gfx card with three outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
            But I got fglrx working with my tv (hdmi) + crt (vga) + the my laptop panel without any problems. With compositing too.

xrandr works quite nice with the fglrx drivers. But you probably have to buy a gfx card with three outputs.
            How was this done? Please share the details.

I would like to run triple head w/compositing across three monitors with from 5850. Any tips would be very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post

But what type of multi-display do you use?
              I'm experimenting with an ATI FirePro 2450, which is a quad-head.
              So far, multi-display with an extended desktop perspective only works for 2 monitors.. the third one is forced to stay as "single desktop"...

I downloaded the latest ATI drivers btw...

Any tips would be most welcome :X

P.S.: With extended desktop with 2 monitors + single desktop i do have compiz

Comment

Working...
              X