Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radeon doesn't find my device

Hi !

I am trying to switch from fglrx to radeon open source driver (as it was really easy on a ubuntu laptop with x700).

So here we have a HD3850 on opensuse 11.0. I have a vanilla kernel 2.6.32 compiled with radeon module support. And although the driver is set to radeon in xorg.conf, it crashes, just saying that no devices are detect (no errors). I am not using kms yet.

Thanks, I will provide logs as soon as i can

After further reasearching I managed to make my card work with radeonhd. But it gives me corrupted tty. And I would prefer KMS of course. I have upgraded to mesa 7.6, to libdrm 2.4 and xorg 7.4.33 but radeon still refuses to find my device. If I boot with radeon.modeset=1 I don't have the huge console, showing that ksm is working. Is my card compatible ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Guilo View Post
      Is my card compatible ?
      Should be, but I'd need more information before taking a decent guess at the problem..

Comment

Here are the Xorg log and xorg.conf.

Simply changing radeon to radeonhd in xorg.conf makes it work great. But I would prefer radeon for KMS.

I have compiled radeon as a module in the kernel but I haven't choosen kms as default in staging drivers. And when I boot with radeon.modeset=1 I haven't the kms enabled. When i enabled it on my laptop, radeon only worked with kms ON. So i should manage to get kms working...

My Xorg.conf : http://pastebin.com/m705c01e6
        Its log : http://pastebin.com/m1a7084ef

Comment

I have download the latest xf86-video-ati stable release available. I compiled it and after loading it in xorg.conf it may give me an unssuported mode becaus my screen tells me NO SIGNAL

I have built radeon from xf86 package and it didn't make me a loadable module for the kernel (*.ko). Is it normal ?

Thanks

Comment

KMS requires a KMS-enabled drm and xf86-video-ati and mesa 3D drivers built with KMS support. xf86-video-ait is not a kernel module.

Comment

Ok, I will check these points thanks.

So what is the difference between xf86-video-radeon and the radeon module from the kernel ?

Comment

They are different parts of the driver stack. The X driver (xf86-video-ati, aka radeon, aka the DDX) implements functions required by the X server. The 3D driver (mesa) implements functions required by 3D apps.

The X driver and the 3D driver both access hardware via the drm (Direct Rendering Manager), aka the radeon module from the kernel, which coordinates requests from the different upper level drivers and manages common resources like memory and the ring buffer used to submit commands to the chip.
                Test signature

Comment

Working...
                X