Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by pedepy View Post
    ehm, how did you do that ?

it's seems really odd wine wont detect the open source drivers as ati and fallback to nvidia. a little retarded, even.

wine, you're retarted.

I've experienced that on my 200M. Wine (or rather the games) detects it as a geforce3.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    You know, the best way to deal with trolls is the same as the best way to deal with "your mom' insults. Just say "yup' and then carry on.
    I prefer to get my trusty mountain goat and knock those bastards off the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Seriously, any approach which requires hardware from one vendor to behave exactly the same as hardware from another vendor is not going to work long term. If this is true then it's something that will need to change in Wine.

The Wine devs have said multiple times that there is no NVidia-specific code in Wine -- this sounds pretty NVidia-specific to me. Not saying you're wrong, but there is a disconnect there that would be good to get clarified.
    no thats not nvidia-specific!

NOT! because thy do this only to bring you the max experience !

thats because some games only put the full features in the option menu if there is a nvidia graphic-card-.....
    If you have a ati/amd graphic cart dx10 hd2xxx+ feature:VTF you can get directX9c+VTF but if you tell the game "i'm a ati card" you only get the non VTF render path !

R600+ this is a win...... R300-R500 this is a worst case.....

if you wana chance this you must chance the hole wine directX to openGL path
    and only for r300-r500 only for outdatet grafic chips? ? ?

not realy!

Quote Originally Posted by barbarbaron View Post
    A graphics driver nowadays is a heap of code as complicated as an OS kernel. With only independent developers it will take ages to reach performance and reliability levels. The future of open source radeon and radeon-gallium3d drivers regarding this:
    r200 -> Stay at OGL 1.3. will never reach OGL 1.4 if independent devs don't implement it. AMD left you fellas.
    ok thats ok..... because openGL1,5 is a 'minimum'

r300 - r500 -> Stay at OGL 1.5. will never reach OGL 2.0 and GLSL if independent devs don't make gallium3d work. AMD left you fellas.
    you also can use openGL1,5+gsgl..... but......
    the crazy opensource devs starts support openGL3.2-extansions on R5xx!!!

in my point of view... these Guys totally crazy!
    because they can never support 'VTF' they need to hack the hole wine only for R5xx ..........
    what a waste of dev time but yes.. they do it......

r600 - r700 -> Stay at OGL 2.0 and GLSL. will never reach OGL 3.x if independent devs don't implement it. AMD will leave you fellas.
    so fare i know the openGL3.x is already in work...... because openGL2 is finisch right now.
    and yes... you know? dit you know stay on openGL2+dri2+kms+exa+tearfree is a very nice place to stay :-)
    fglrx lag on features.... in this point.

r800 and beyond -> Stay at X. And leave it to independent devs. AMD will leave you fellas.
    yes.... there is no first day support.
    but we have the specs now! thats much more than Nvidia have!

As for closed source drivers they will never be feature complete.
    the true is they know they can not compete again the opensource driver ;-)

thats a Positive part!

So this* is the sorta linux support strategy of AMD. By this strategy AMD keeps its linux user base at a stable level and hinders the linux gaming efforts at the same time.
    realy? you also can read the specs and fight back!

it's seems really odd wine wont detect the open source drivers as ati and fallback to nvidia. a little retarded, even.

wine, you're retarted.
    why? wine is Impressive!

Wine hacks the fucking games sponsored by nvidia with nvidia promotion features.......

brings the exklusiv nvidia fearures to intel and ati/amd cards!

thats only because the Gamez think you have a Nvidia Graphic card!

Sure, and then everyone says "gee the ATI drivers must have bugs" because the hardware is different. No thanks.

If this is true, it needs to change.

They also have special registry keys for that, where you can put the pciid of your card.

http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

Maybe it helps with some games, I don't know. I don't play that much games.

Well this was their reasoning (from the wine source):

The choice for Nvidia was because the hardware and drivers they make are of good quality. This makes them a good generic choice
    I don't know if everybody agrees with that though, especially the first part

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Sure, and then everyone says "gee the ATI drivers must have bugs" because the hardware is different. No thanks.

If this is true, it needs to change.
    I think this only applies to the mesa dri drivers, not fglrx. If there's 'ATI' in the OpenGL vendor string it should report the card as an ATI card to the app.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post

I don't know if everybody agrees with that though, especially the first part

When they started out it was like that, in their view. I can see their resoning here; they needed a stable platform with which to work and at that time nvidia was the only clear and easy choice (a lot of early projects are using the same line of thought as well). However, things chance and so must they.

Wine does the right thing reporting the right hardware to the application when it can correctly detect it. Since MESA is no valid hardware vendor it falls back to some nvidia card with equivalent features. Nothing worg there. Sure they could use a better hardware detection mechanism, (especially for the OSS drivers) but right now this one is working +or- fine.

People should stop conjuring their conspiracy theorys in this forum and write all this shit in their own personal blog where only people interested in reading shit would see it.

Those AMD devs are waaay too nice. Don't know how they keep answering these guys.