No announcement yet.

R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bridgman, I think you're missing the point. barbarbaron doesn't think you are diabolical geniuses, just diabolical. You can't do anything right, and that includes screwing your linux customers. But you'll surely get the kinks worked out of your master plan sooner or later.

Comment

You know, the best way to deal with trolls is the same as the best way to deal with "your mom' insults. Just say "yup' and then carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghworg View Post
        wine tries to detect what Video card you have and reports that to the directx side. It defaults to an Nvidia card if it can't work out what card you have, which is currently the case for the open radeon drivers.

If you hack the detection routines to add support for VENDOR_MESA and R600 (for example) in the render string, then you can absolutely get it to report that you have an ATI card on the directx side. I've done it.

ehm, how did you do that ?

it's seems really odd wine wont detect the open source drivers as ati and fallback to nvidia. a little retarded, even.

wine, you're retarted.

Comment

Originally posted by pedepy View Post

it's seems really odd wine wont detect the open source drivers as ati and fallback to nvidia. a little retarded, even.

wine, you're retarted.

I've experienced that on my 200M. Wine (or rather the games) detects it as a geforce3.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            You know, the best way to deal with trolls is the same as the best way to deal with "your mom' insults. Just say "yup' and then carry on.
            I prefer to get my trusty mountain goat and knock those bastards off the bridge.

Comment

Sure, and then everyone says "gee the ATI drivers must have bugs" because the hardware is different. No thanks.

If this is true, it needs to change.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by pedepy View Post
                They also have special registry keys for that, where you can put the pciid of your card.

Maybe it helps with some games, I don't know. I don't play that much games.

Well this was their reasoning (from the wine source):

The choice for Nvidia was because the hardware and drivers they make are of good quality. This makes them a good generic choice
                I don't know if everybody agrees with that though, especially the first part

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Sure, and then everyone says "gee the ATI drivers must have bugs" because the hardware is different. No thanks.

If this is true, it needs to change.
                  I think this only applies to the mesa dri drivers, not fglrx. If there's 'ATI' in the OpenGL vendor string it should report the card as an ATI card to the app.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

I don't know if everybody agrees with that though, especially the first part

When they started out it was like that, in their view. I can see their resoning here; they needed a stable platform with which to work and at that time nvidia was the only clear and easy choice (a lot of early projects are using the same line of thought as well). However, things chance and so must they.

Comment

• Wine does the right thing reporting the right hardware to the application when it can correctly detect it. Since MESA is no valid hardware vendor it falls back to some nvidia card with equivalent features. Nothing worg there. Sure they could use a better hardware detection mechanism, (especially for the OSS drivers) but right now this one is working +or- fine.

People should stop conjuring their conspiracy theorys in this forum and write all this shit in their own personal blog where only people interested in reading shit would see it.

Those AMD devs are waaay too nice. Don't know how they keep answering these guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X