No announcement yet.

R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure why you think zlib performance has anything to do with 3d performance...

As for wine graphics performance, games like Diablo 2, Counterstrike, World of Goo, Plants vs Zombies are almost unplayable on my Atom/945 netbook and noticeably slower on my Core2/Quadro laptop compared to running them on Windows directly. Maybe your system is powerful enough that you don't notice the slowdown or even get a speed increase through wine but that's far from universal.

Finally, it's obvious that brigdman is employed by AMD to ban dissenters from Phoronix (and other forums). Tread carefully, AMD is evil like that.

Comment

• I think Q might have some kind of mental disorder here. He just keeps repeating the same things over and over again like if he says it enough it might become true, while ignoring everything that everyone else says.

I think he might be the first person I've ever seen say that DirectX through WINE is better and less hacky than native OpenGL support.

And he still hasn't explained how he thinks OpenGL's impending demise is going to destroy the market for workstation cards, after it was explained that those are marketed to DirectX users as well.

And then he keeps bringing up 10 year old applications to test performance while ignoring that blackstar was talking about HLSL and other newer technologies being slow.

As far as OpenGL dying itself, it's been dying in certain markets like PC gaming for years. It's never going to disappear completely though, as long as Sony and Nintendo don't feel like paying massive amounts of money to their main competitor in the console market. And new markets like phones and web browsers seem likely to make OpenGL more used than ever before, even if they are in lower end devices.

Comment

• Hold on, let me check my job description...

<snip>

23. Where possible, encourage the suspension of, or take other actions to discourage enthusiastic forum members from posting

24. Fill out timesheets on a regular basis

Yep, guess I do get paid for it.

Seriously, I am trying to discourage you from overgeneralizing and drifting off-topic. Your posts could be regarded a lot more seriously if you would just slow down a bit. Be sensitive to that inner voice which occasionally says "you're babbling" and listen to it

The issue under discussion was whether current implementations of Wine + driver would exact a performance penalty as a result of Wine inserting additional shader instructions. The fact that one program rums faster does not disprove that, and the other benchmarks you posted (which prob24ably don't use shaders) also argue that another factor must be affecting performance, possibly filesystem or cacheing.
        Last edited by bridgman; 30 December 2009, 01:56 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          I think Q might have some kind of mental disorder here.
          That is incredibly insulting and insensitive. Please don't say things like that.

Qaridarium is just an everyday idiot, nothing more.

Comment

• i have said it before and i will say it again. people are stupid. all of them.

Comment

• I think Q should have paid attention in elementary school when they explained the concept of "sentences".
              (assuming that in his native language there is such a thing).

Comment

• This must be a bot.

Would this thread qualify as a failed Turing test ?

Note : I'm not a native english speaker either, but I try to make sure to have at least partially sound sentence structures. And in fact, it must be even harder for me to parse those sentences than for those that speak english fluently.

BTW, what is "praxis" ?

Comment

• Hello, since this thread is active, and I couldn't find bug report like this, I am posting it here. Using following configuration:
                  Linux 2.6.32
                  libgl 7.7
                  xf86-video-ati 6.12.4
                  libdrm 2.4.17

I have following bugs, apart from inability to turn on KMS
                  Using glxgears as benchmark..yes I know it is not really.
                  In non compositing environment, when glxgears window origin is moved out of current desktop(left and up coordinates), rendering stops (shows last rendered frame, clipped with the window border of-course) frames go high ~4000 as of my hardware RS780.
                  On the other hand, when the glxgears window is under other window, entirely, frames drop down to ~100.
                  When simultaneously origin outside desktop and covered by window entirely FPS are ~100 too.

In compositing environment, when moving window with GL context, window moves (content black), but GL rendering context stays(and continue to render) on the old place, above any windows. When I finish the move, then it moves in to GL window as usual. When the window origin is moved beyond desktop dimensions, window content stays black.

Please if not appropriate here, tell me where I should post this issues.
                  Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
                    This must be a bot.

Would this thread qualify as a failed Turing test ?

Note : I'm not a native english speaker either, but I try to make sure to have at least partially sound sentence structures. And in fact, it must be even harder for me to parse those sentences than for those that speak english fluently.

BTW, what is "praxis" ?
                    It's actually quite funny when you're a native german speaker.
                    He often slips german words into his sentences, e.g. praxis, tausend, ...

Anyway, to move this thread to a slightly less off-topic topic:
                    Has anyone had any luck yet with running a real-world >=OGL2 application (= game, obviously :P) on r300g? I keep trying to run HoN, Nexuiz, the Penny Arcade games and some others but so far without success.
                    It does pass some of the piglit-tests though...
                    I guess it's too early to fill bugreports yet, or isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      Originally posted by BlackStar
                      As for wine graphics performance, games like Diablo 2, Counterstrike, World of Goo, Plants vs Zombies are almost unplayable on my Atom/945 netbook
                      I'm so sorry abaut this.. idsn the future it will be faster intel only need OpenGL3.2.
                      Intel is generally is very slow in 3D a 20€ hd4350 is 200-300% faster than your atom GPU...
                      Yes, but you forgot to quote the rest of my sentence, which said that these games are also slower on my Core2/Quadro notebook. This Quadro card supports OpenGL 3.2, so if what you said was true, it should be faster through wine than native. It isn't, however.

I don't doubt that wine can give a speed increase in some rare cases, but this speed increase either happens on software that doesn't really need it (WOW is 5 years old now? 3d mark 03 is 6 years old?) or on hardware that doesn't have a problem anyway (e.g. DX10/GL3.2 cards running DX8 software).

One final nitpick: WOW minimaps use GL pbuffers, which are *not* windows specific. However, noone sane wants to deal with this ugly 6-year old POS extension, which is why OSS drivers won't get it anytime soon. This is why WOW/DX tends to run better than WOW/GL in wine.

in the past AMD get foaming rabies by some Posts of me in this forum.
                      Lol

Comment

Working...
                      X