ASUS Eee 1201N On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Eee 1201N On Linux?

Anyone that has interest in netbooks lately I am sure has heard of the just released Eee PC 1201N... With its ION graphics, 2gb ram, dual core Atom, 12 inch screen, etc... It certainly piqued my interest, but since ASUS seems to be losing interest in Linux (and as a result Phoronix too), I ended up buying the Asus 1201N outright from NewEgg since I have been wanting a netbook with a higher screen resolution. Received it this morning. Will have my formal thoughts on it next week but there are problems under Ubuntu with the WiFi, etc. Benchmarks coming too.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Will be interesting if 192.22 works with that system of if you have to use the latest stable 190.53 driver.

Comment

wifi chipset

I am a linux fan and from the product specification I think this netbook should work fine. However I cannot find any information on the chipset of the wireless network card. In the past I have had trouble with the proprietary Broadcom linux driver, so I prefer to stay away from their products. Would it be possible to know what is the name of the chipset manufacturer of this netbook and it's model number please - or at least could you give us the "lspci -v" output so that we can figure out if we can make it work.

Comment

It's a Realtek 8191 chipset (though its detected as a Realtek 8171) WiFi chipset. The chipset will work if building the new, out-of-tree rtl8192se driver, but according to other users of this driver there can be a few problems, but so far it's running fine for me and my needs.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          It's a Realtek 8191 chipset (though its detected as a Realtek 8171) WiFi chipset. The chipset will work if building the new, out-of-tree rtl8192se driver, but according to other users of this driver there can be a few problems, but so far it's running fine for me and my needs.
          Thank you very much for your quick answer (I sent a mail to ASUS asking the same question last monday, but I did not receive an anser yet ... VIVA PHORONIX !). I am considering returning my new HP mini 311 (which include a problematic broadcom wifi chipset) an buy an ASUS 1201n. I am VERY interested to know about your experience, so I am looking forward to read your review about using this netbook with Linux.

Comment

32 or 64 bits

Are you testing 32 or 64 bit linux ?

Comment

Testing both architectures.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Hello- Michael, do you mind discussing a bit more on how you got the wifi working? i just got my 1201N and I've installed eeebuntu (9.04) on it and neither network interface is working for me. I'm use a USB to ethernet for now.

I did just get the latest nvidia ION drivers installed and X is very snappy now. What I really need is the wifi.

Some more pointers would be appreciated, I'm an ubuntu noob, spent most of my time with Redhat.

Comment

Working...
                X