Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Q35 KMS Trouble

Hello,

I've been trying to setup KMS using intel Q35 hardware but although I seem to get modesetting for the console, X won't start. More specifically:

I enabled intel_agp and i915 defaulting to KMS in the kernel configuration. Booting this kernel results in a nice 1650x1080 console. Grepping dmesg doesn't show any references to "KMS" or "modeset" though. I haven't included any hardware framebuffer drivers in the kernel configuration but I have enabled the video mode handling helper option (so the support for frame buffer devices upper-level menu option is enabled). DRM for intel has also been configured as built into the kernel. I use the lastest git code of the testing branch of zen-kernel as of December 16th.

To me this meant KMS was working. However trying to start X presents some weird behaviour. I use Gentoo so I installed all of xorg-server, libdrm, xf86-video-intel and mesa from git master. I didn't enable the gallium USE flag for mesa.

Running X -configure produces a configuration file but I get the error message Kernel Modesetting for intel not enabled (or something similar, I'll provide the exact output if needed when I boot the machine into linux). Running X (either using the produced xorg.conf or without it) results in a black screen, and I can do nothing but hard-reset.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Last edited by gd_19; 18 December 2009, 06:37 PM.

Solved...

It seems the problem was:
    a) I hadn't installed xterm and xclock (btw whatever happened to the checkerboard pattern? :-))
    b) hald wasn't running

so X was up and working but I had no keyboard/mouse to revert back to the console... (or reboot)

I have yet to understand why I got those failures when running X though... it's by using the startx command that I managed to start the server

Comment

Working...
    X