Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.33-rc1 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.33-rc1 Kernel Released

Linus Torvalds has just announced that the merge window for the Linux 2.6.33 kernel has closed and as a result he has pushed out Linux 2.6.33-rc1. The first release candidate for Linux 2.6.33 delivers on a plethora of new code, including the long-awaited Nouveau driver (which Linus mentions in the 2.6.33-rc1 announcement) and many graphics DRM improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I want to see the bfs scheduler for desktops, and by freaking default. Also where is reiser4 . I want to see Linus bitching for reiser4 inclusion on next widow merge like he did with nouveau. Hopefully ext4 performance is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
      I want to see the bfs scheduler for desktops, and by freaking default. Also where is reiser4 . I want to see Linus bitching for reiser4 inclusion on next widow merge like he did with nouveau. Hopefully ext4 performance is fixed.
      The thing is that a lot of people actually care about nouveau, but few care about reiser4. So why would Linus push hard for it?

As for the bfs scheduler, dunno, but the case for it seems far weaker too -- it seems to help a bit in certain scenarios, but the kernel maintainers need to worry about all scenarios. Things like Con's tantrums, and the fanboy brigade that seems to descend on any thread mentioning bfs, don't exactly help either...

Comment

I'm configuring now to play with new ATI goodness.

Comment

I wonder is Chris Mason got around to push raid10 and raid50 for btrfs.

Or what was pushed for btrfs.

Comment

Oh well. First step done. Now there will be the long weeks of -rc# until I'll finally hold this baby in my arms. I mean, on my HDD. And I so much hope to see mesa 7.6.1 before christmas.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Does this mean that there will be no power management for radeon cards? If yes, I guess it also remains in staging...

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                I want to see the bfs scheduler for desktops, and by freaking default.
                i think using bfs should be a decision made by the distro maintainers not the kernel developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                  i think using bfs should be a decision made by the distro maintainers not the kernel developers.
                  I wonder if it's useful on desktops now, because last time I tried it, it wasn't ready yet. Btw. I don't see a reason to have BFS included in mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    I wonder if it's useful on desktops now, because last time I tried it, it wasn't ready yet. Btw. I don't see a reason to have BFS included in mainline.
                    I've used BFS since it's announcement, and was initially "wowed" by it. I used it all the way up to BFS-311 on 2.6.31.6. I've recently moved to 2.6.32 and decided not to apply the BFS patches, and have yet to "feel" any difference. I'm someone who is constantly compiling stuff (read: qt 4.7 git), whilst web browsing, or watching videos, etc.. while I'm waiting and I can't honestly "feel" any difference between the schedulers, whereas before (vanilla 2.6.31) I could. It seems Con has made his point. I agree (based on my experience), there is no need for BFS in mainline at this point.

Comment

Working...
                    X