X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    wikipedia:

New features:

* Fixed pipelines[9] are being done away with in favor of fully programmable pipelines (often referred to as unified pipeline architecture), which can be programmed to emulate the same.
    * New state object to enable (mostly) the CPU to change states efficiently.
    * Shader model 4.0, enhances the programmability of the graphics pipeline. It adds instructions for integer and bitwise calculations.
    * Geometry shaders, which work on adjacent triangles which form a mesh.
    * Texture arrays enable swapping of textures in GPU without CPU intervention.
    * Predicated Rendering allows drawing calls to be ignored based on some other conditions. This enables rapid occlusion culling, which prevents objects from being rendered if it is not visible or too far to be visible.
    * Instancing 2.0 support, allowing multiple instances of similar meshes, such as armies, or grass or trees, to be rendered in a single draw call, reducing the processing time needed for multiple similar objects to that of a single one.[10]

for exampel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometry_shaders

you can't do this with your DirectX9...
    That's very cool. However it doesn't have anything to do with graphical effect capabilities. We were talking about God Rays and such, which all work under DirectX 9.0c.

Of course the above will speed up programming and speed up your computer, but the funny thing is that you as an enduser will not notice the speedup compared to XP because Vista and 7 simply cut of the performance gain.

Crysis in high setting on top of Windows 7 runs slower than ultra settings on top of XP.

DirectX10 is a huge improvement, however, once again, it has nothing to do with graphical effects. I have God Rays in Crysis in DirectX 9.0c.

Comment

I would have had more trust in the catalyst driver, if the links at the download page were right.

'Release notes' (not the link to 'See Release Notes' which links to 9.12) and 'Installer instructions' still link to version 9.11.

I hope my links are right.

Yours

asdfgh2091

Comment

Working...
      X