Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoromatic Tracker Launches To Monitor Linux Performance

Phoronix: Phoromatic Tracker Launches To Monitor Linux Performance

Last month Phoromatic went into public beta, which is our remote test management software for the Phoronix Test Suite that allows a wealth of possibilities including the ability to easily build a benchmarking test farm. At the start of this month, we in fact announced that the Phoronix Kernel Test Farm went live and it would be benchmarking the latest mainline Linux kernel on a daily basis. This was followed by the addition of a system in our test farm to benchmark the latest Fedora Rawhide packages on a daily basis. We had not intended to begin pushing out these results publicly through a new web-site until next year, but we have already collected some interesting metrics that are documenting active regressions within the Linux 2.6.33 kernel. As a result, this morning we are rolling out Phoromatic Tracker, the public interface to our test farm.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The text in the second lower part of the http://www.phoromatic.com/ is all blue - that's very misleading. Please, change its color to something neutral, as blue is the color of web links.

Also, I've got a question, will you create the appropriate bug reports in the Linux kernel bugzilla? Just showing the results to the community is kinda worthless.
    Last edited by birdie; 16 December 2009, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Also, I've got a question, will you create the appropriate bug reports in the Linux kernel bugzilla?
      For some of the larger performance regressions it may be likely, but not for all of them; I simply don't have the time unless some company is interested in sponsoring that work.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Congratulations, I'm sure a significant amount of work has gone into this, and it certainly looks very useful.

Wonder what the change was on the 13th that caused such a spiked improvement.

Comment

This is a great tool. I hope linux companies to support your efforts.

Comment

And, Michael, thank you very much for your work!

Comment

Needs error bars!

This is fantastic! However, plotting error bars on the charts would greatly increase the value of this output. If the error bars are too small, some indication of Standard Deviation or Coefficient of Variance would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus6 View Post
                This is fantastic! However, plotting error bars on the charts would greatly increase the value of this output. If the error bars are too small, some indication of Standard Deviation or Coefficient of Variance would be useful.
                PTS will automatically increase the run count if the std threshold exceeds 3.5% and some additional information is available when running analyze-all-runs on a result file, but that is not exposed through the Phoromatic Tracker interface. If anyone is interested in helping out with stats support or providing any other guidance on the matter I am happy to push more stats support in there, that's just not an area that is my forte.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Additional systems for kernel-tracker

Michael,

Was wondering when you anticipate getting more systems added to the kernel tracker? I see the 32-bit Atom system, and wondered specifically when we can expect to see a 'moderately performant' 64-bit dual/quad core in the mix?

I've a 32-bit Athlon XP system sitting around what I would gladly volunteer as an additional system to the kernel-tracker. If you're interested, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by daikerjohn View Post
                    Michael,

Was wondering when you anticipate getting more systems added to the kernel tracker? I see the 32-bit Atom system, and wondered specifically when we can expect to see a 'moderately performant' 64-bit dual/quad core in the mix?
                    I have plenty of hardware that I have access to and want to throw into the test farm, but so far i haven't done that yet as I am just trying to conserve electricity and keep the recurring operating costs of it low until Phoromatic / Phoromatic Tracker is being sponsored by any company/organization(s) or is otherwise self-sustainable.

Originally posted by daikerjohn View Post
                    I've a 32-bit Athlon XP system sitting around what I would gladly volunteer as an additional system to the kernel-tracker. If you're interested, let me know.
                    Sure, if you want. Setup process is easy. If you're running Ubuntu I can send you some scripts to use a PPA otherwise if you are another distribution and have an auto-build procedure for it daily then I can tell you just how to easily set the Phoronix Test Suite to connect into this Phoromatic test farm and to begin the testing.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X