Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mono 2.6 Released, Supports LLVM Generation

Phoronix: Mono 2.6 Released, Supports LLVM Generation

To end out 2009, Miguel de Icaza has announced the release of Mono 2.6 along with MonoDevelop 2.4. This major update to Mono delivers WCF client and server for what is exposed by Microsoft's Silverlight 2.0, a continuations framework, a new soft debugger, a verifier and security toolbox, more complete 3.5 coverage, and various other changes to this free software project to implement Microsoft's .NET on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this will die soon.

Comment

I just uninstalled mono from my Ubuntu installation along with the never used tomboy and f-spot.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        It won't, but I must ask you: why?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          It won't, but I must ask you: why?
          Because it is at great risk of Microsoft-control, since C# is a Microsoft-created Microsoft-specific programming language. Besides, it is almost exactly like Java. Why not just use Java, since it is Opensource?

Comment

Does anyone know if the Mono crap will be a dependency in Gnome 3 of which it will be impossible to get rid of?

Comment

On one hand Mono is free software.
              On the other hand it is always going to follow microsoft's silverlight and be always a step behind and with it and Linux as well.
              I dunno, I'm not yet sure about it.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                You gotta love the honesty of Phoronix' members Seriously though, this is absolutely neccessary at times.

Regarding Mono, I am kind of in the same position as Apopas, but I tend to lean more to the "Mono sucks and I wish it would die" direction, because I see disadvantages and no advantages. I acknowledge however that it is free software.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                  Because it is at great risk of Microsoft-control, since C# is a Microsoft-created Microsoft-specific programming language. Besides, it is almost exactly like Java. Why not just use Java, since it is Opensource?
                  Mono, like Java, is completely open-source. Java is Sun-soon-to-be-Oracle-controlled; .Net is Microsoft-controlled; Mono is Novell-controlled. Personally, I fail to see a distinction: all three languages are controlled by evil corporations.

Other than that, Java sucks horribly when compared to C# (the language) and Mono (the base class library and the runtime). C# combines the best features of Java and Delphi, two of the best last-generation RAD languages, while largely side-stepping their pitfalls. It's by far the most accessible statically-typed RAD language (with Python being the closest dynamically-typed equivalent).

Comment

Personally, I never liked .NET (even when I was a Windows programmer), and I don't like Mono. I'm not going to wish death on the project, but I will have no sympathy for projects using Mono if Microsoft starts swinging the patent cudgel at them. Stallman and others have warned them many times, so they proceed at their own risk.

Comment

Working...
                    X