Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anomalously diverging RAMspeed results (for at least Core 2 Duo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anomalously diverging RAMspeed results (for at least Core 2 Duo)

I've performed the RAMspeed and Stream (as a benchmark) on the exact same system (same CPU and RAM) on two different days, resulting in sets T1 and T2 of performance values:

Code:
    Test     Options    T1   T2
    ======== ========= ==== ====
    RAMspeed Copy FP:   584 2381
    RAMspeed Scale FP:  563 2367
    RAMspeed Add FP:    647 2831
    RAMspeed Triad FP:  647 2837
    RAMspeed Ave. FP:   610 2601
    Stream   Copy      2526 2523
    Stream   Scale     2488 2483
    Stream   Add       2960 2962
    Stream   Triad     3003 3007
    Notice that the Stream results are quite consistent between T1 and T2, but the RAMspeed results are like night and day. The ratio of T1 to T2 results for RAMspeed ranges between .228 to .245 (The T1 RAMspeed performance values are not even 1/4 as good as T2 RAMspeed performance values.)

The RAMspeed performance values probably should be almost as good as the Stream results, and they are in T2, but aren't in T1.

This happens only on Intel Core 2 Duo. The lower values are easily repeatable and higher (expected) values I've gotten only a few times on the Core 2 Duo. I've tested on two different Core 2 Duo processors with similar results, so its probably not the case that my Core 2 Duo is deficient in some way (both CPUs would have to be deficient in the same way).

I have not seen any issue like this with other CPUs.

I noticed that the RAMspeed test always compiles with a WARNING that the build script could not identify the ARCH, but even after fixing this, the anomalous RAMspeed results persist.

The "fix" (it doesn't seem to fix much though) is adding the line

ARCH=i386

at the beginning of the ramspeed/build_pts.sh script. Otherwise the ARCH variable is left undefined and RAMspeed is compiled with some "catch all" compiler options. Actually, the only difference is the RAMspeed test is complied with optimization option O2 versus just O.

Anyone else experience such issues with RAMspeed? Either with Core 2 Duo or any other CPU?

Any suggestions for diagnosing this issue and resolving it?

Ken

Hi Ken,

I haven't encountered this but I haven't used RAMspeed now at Phoronix in many months. Though I do see RAMspeed 2.6 is now out compared to 2.5.x currently in PTS, so I am upgrading that in the test profile to see if 2.6 improves things. It should be in Git within a few minutes if you want to see if 2.6 improves things.

Though these days there is also RAMspeed/SMP for Unix, which may be better to use these days. If you want to see if RAMspeed 2.6 or RAMspeed/SMP is more reliable for you, they can be downloaded @ http://www.alasir.com/software/ramspeed/ and if you do that, let me know what your findings are. Thanks.

-- Michael
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
    X