Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get 3D HW working with KMS enabled

Howdy,

this is on a Thinkpad T60p with a FireGL V5200, running Mandriva 2010.0 with a KMS-enabled kernel.

KMS starts up fine and I got a fine 1600x1200 console, but under X it simply won't do anything but fallback to Software Rendering. I pulled drm, mesa and xf86-driver-video-radeon from git and had hoped it would work.

Relevant portions from my xorg.log:

Code:
    (II) "dri" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also specified in the config file.
    (II) "dri2" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also specified in the config file.
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//v4l_drv.so
            ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 5.0
    (II) LoadModule: "dri"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
    (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
    (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri2.so
    (II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    (II) Loading extension DRI2

[...]

(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
    (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
    (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
    (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
    glxinfo reports the software rasterizer of the old mesa version, i.e.

Code:
    OpenGL renderer string: Software  Rasterizer                                        
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.5.2)
    This is obviously a left over from my packaged mesa version, since I only built the r300 dri drivers.

What exactly is wrong? Disabling KMS brings back 3D, so I really don't know where to look. Any ideas?

Originally posted by DF5JT View Post
    Code:
    OpenGL renderer string: Software  Rasterizer                                        
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.5.2)
    This is obviously a left over from my packaged mesa version, since I only built the r300 dri drivers.

What exactly is wrong? Disabling KMS brings back 3D, so I really don't know where to look. Any ideas?
    I think you may need a newer Mesa to work with KMS, so by enabling it, you lose 3D with Mesa 7.5.

I'm running 7.7 rc2 and have KMS and 3D working with my r600 cards.

Comment

Originally posted by octoberblu3 View Post
      I think you may need a newer Mesa to work with KMS, so by enabling it, you lose 3D with Mesa 7.5.

I'm running 7.7 rc2 and have KMS and 3D working with my r600 cards.
      Did you really read what I wrote?

I pulled drm, mesa and xf86-driver-video-radeon from git and had hoped it would work.
      and

Comment

Apps are using the old libGL and 3D drivers. Find out where the you installed the new one (most fdo projects default to /usr/local unless you change the prefix when running configure; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr should do the trick) and why apps aren't using it.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Apps are using the old libGL and 3D drivers. Find out where the you installed the new one (most fdo projects default to /usr/local unless you change the prefix when running configure; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr should do the trick) and why apps aren't using it.
          All the relevant bits, i.e. libdrm, mesa and radeon driver have explicitly been configure with --prfix=/usr. The only remaining bit of my original mesa ist the Software Rasterizer and all the other mesa drivers that I did not compile in (with-dri-divers=r200,r200).

Comment

Did you really read what I wrote?
            Actually, I did skim the post when I saw the Mesa 7.5.2 at the end. So in your case it's as agd5f said, your software is finding the old mesa version and not using the one you are compiling from git.

It might be easier to just compile the software rasteriser in addition to the drivers you need and completely replace the packaged mesa with your compiled version. Then when something is missing, you should get an error message that might help you find what is missing.
            Last edited by octoberblu3; 15 December 2009, 05:23 PM.

Comment

try:
              LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxgears
              and see if it sheds any light on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by octoberblu3 View Post
                Actually, I did skim the post when I saw the Mesa 7.5.2 at the end. So in your case it's as agd5f said, your software is finding the old mesa version and not using the one you are compiling from git.

It might be easier to just compile the software rasteriser in addition to the drivers you need and completely replace the packaged mesa with your compiled version. Then when something is missing, you should get an error message that might help you find what is missing.
                The thing is, my software that finds the old mesa stuff is the same whether it's KMS or non-KMS. Using KMS or not is the only difference, i.e. booting the kernel with radeon.modeset=1 or without.

On non-KMS:

Code:
                OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV530 71C4) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL  
                OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7-rc2
                It is obvious that there is something wrong as soon as X starts up, since AIGLX cannot be initialized correctly as you can see from the log snippet in my original posting.

Your point with regard to compiling the software renderizer into mesa from git is very good and I will try that tomorrow.

Comment

Have a similar issue with my 200M. Using the stock 2.6.31 kernel in Karmic with all the mesa and radeon updates I can get both 3D and KMS working. However, if I move to a new 2.6.32 kernel I either have to disable KMS to get 3D or lose 3D for KMS functionality. I checked the log and it complains something about a mismatch drm version (I don't have my laptop with me at the moment to check).

Comment

Also make sure you compiled the ddx (xf86-video-ati) with kms support.

Comment

Working...
                    X