NVIDIA's Response To Recent Nouveau Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sylware View Post
    Unfortunatly:the driver code is not protected with the GNU GPL. It's MIT/BSD-like which allows to close the code, improve it and make it work better *without* releasing that improved code (cf Darwin/MacOS).
    That's not really the issue, though. If something is under a non-copyleft license such as an MIT or BSD-style license, the original is still there and can be forked into an open continuation if the community is prepared to do so. Obfuscation hinders this, regardless of users nominally having the right to do it according to the license. I don't see how GPL protects against this except in the same sense that it "protects" against e.g. the Artistic license.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
      That's not really the issue, though. If something is under a non-copyleft license such as an MIT or BSD-style license, the original is still there and can be forked into an open continuation if the community is prepared to do so. Obfuscation hinders this, regardless of users nominally having the right to do it according to the license. I don't see how GPL protects against this except in the same sense that it "protects" against e.g. the Artistic license.
      I just pointed out that the code is not GNU (A)(L)GPL (except for what's get distributed within the Linux kernel). It's MIT/BSD.
      I don't want to start a (MIT/BSD)/GNU GPL troll here. As far as I'm concerned, my personnal choice is to code protected by the GNU (A)(L)GPL, that I cannot do on the new graphic stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
        It isn't that they didn't want to open their blob, its that they can't. It contains code that AMD doesn't have the rights to release. Even if they did release it, you probably wouldn't want it. Redevelopment in order to cleanly integrate things with xorg seems to be working out nicely. AMD is being fully cooperative when it comes to hardware documentation as far as I can tell.
        I never said AMD didn't want to open the blob, or that they were being anything but fully cooperative. Indeed, I personally think they are doing fine, but if you look around the forums here, you will find people complaining that they haven't opened up their blob, and complaining more about AMD than about nVidia! So if they are going to be damned anyway, why bother opening it at all.

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
        The important difference is: AMD actually wants free software solutions for their hardware. Nvidia does not.
        Correction: AMD believe that they stand to make more money from a free software solution for their hardware than they will from not having one. nVidia do not. They are both big corporations, their first and final commitment is to the bottom line, and what they perceive as being the best booster to it. You are a fool if you ever think otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          NVIDIA has nv driver. It's ugly and incomplete but it does support all NVIDIA GPUs and it IS open source.
          This is not quite the case.
          The nv driver does not support all chipsets, in particular not the newer IGPs (GeForce 8200/8300/9300/9400). Also the driver code is obfuscated, which means hacking on it is intentionally made difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
            if you look around the forums here, you will find people complaining that they haven't opened up their blob, and complaining more about AMD than about nVidia! So if they are going to be damned anyway, why bother opening it at all.
            It's certainly true that people are always going to complain, it's what we tend to do best. But I think a lot of that would go away if people were relatively happy with the OSS driver. The issue is that it doesn't yet give them support for any of the advanced features of the hardware, while the blob has issues with supporting recent releases of the graphics stack and is buggy. So people think the solution is to mix the two together, not realizing how much work that would take. Nvidia is spared much of the complaints because their driver is mostly satisfactory to users.

Comment

Working...
            X