Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plymouth Running On Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Phoronix: Plymouth Running On Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

A few days back we shared Plymouth is coming to Ubuntu 10.04 after this wonderful Red Hat creation was proposed to replace USplash last year, set to be integrated for Ubuntu 9.10, and then later dropped on the basis of improving Ubuntu's boot-time instead. The Plymouth graphical boot splash program that leverages kernel mode-setting is here for good with Ubuntu 10.04, but right at the moment in the daily builds of Lucid is not on there by default. For those looking to play with Plymouth on Ubuntu right away, it's as easy as sudo apt-get install plymouth when running on the Ubuntu 10.04 development branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those interested: there's an initial patch to make KDM work with Plymouth.

Comment

Please provide an Ogg Theora version of the video. If you need help, just ask here.

Comment

So what happened to improving boottime then? I'm a bit baffled by this...

Comment

Flash videos are broken by design, please add ogg videos with the help of HTML5.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            So what happened to improving boottime then? I'm a bit baffled by this...
            You should have been very baffled when the false dichotomy of Plymouth vs boot time was used as justification to go and write xsplash instead of just investing on making kernel mode setting work better and adopt Plymouth. KMS *reduces* boot time. Now that Red Hat (and Intel) have made KMS work across all the major drivers (Radeon, Nouveau and Intel), it does make very little sense not to use Plymouth.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              You should have been very baffled when the false dichotomy of Plymouth vs boot time was used as justification to go and write xsplash instead of just investing on making kernel mode setting work better and adopt Plymouth. KMS *reduces* boot time. Now that Red Hat (and Intel) have made KMS work across all the major drivers (Radeon, Nouveau and Intel), it does make very little sense not to use Plymouth.
              Thanks for the insight I always thought that it actually was the case because I've tried a few iterations of Fedora and it always booted slower on Intel, Ati and nVidia hardware than with Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Thanks for the insight I always thought that it actually was the case because I've tried a few iterations of Fedora and it always booted slower on Intel, Ati and nVidia hardware than with Ubuntu.
                Yes that can happen but then we aren't comparing quite the same thing since there are many many version differences, the number of services started by default differs etc. The better measure would be to compare the same distribution in the same hardware once with KMS and once without and then check the boot speed.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  The better measure would be to compare the same distribution in the same hardware once with KMS and once without and then check the boot speed.
                  Good idea for a Phoronix article. "Ubuntu: uboot Vs. Plymouth performance"

Comment

Rant: can't you Phoronix guys for a change stop using Flash as the only one video source? As you know (do you?) Firefox natively uses suitable video/audio formats and there are many, many free plugins available for non-Firefox users... Especially on 64-bit platforms... (We're not all running Ubuntu, you know :-] and, well, proprietary OS captives do probably not mind using proprietary players...) Use more than one alternative since HTML EMBED and OBJECT allow nesting players.
                    Last edited by VinzC; 14 December 2009, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X