No announcement yet.

The Nouveau Pony Is Pulled, Ctx_Voodoo Ignored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know few people near me (they don't read Phoronix) who are interested in running nouveau driver on their Geforce 2, 4, 5200, 8500, 8600 and 9600 hardware so it's great that nouveau DRM is merged into kernel. And I'm going to give it a try on my laptop at work with Quadro NVS 135M or 140M.

Comment

I plan to use nouveau with my 8500GT and yes Redhat did a lot to improve this opensource driver, unlike other companies.

Comment

Then you can not use vdpau, but if you like to...

Comment

I plan to use it with my old riva tnt2 or geforce 4 titanium (if it stops randomly hardlocking, Well I think the hardlocks are a hardware issue not dirver one but who knows I only tried the nvidia blob on it)

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            @Michael: It is pretty obvious from your articles that you are an Ubuntu fanboy, and you don't like Red Hat.
            Excuse me? I run Ubuntu currently on most of my machines, yes, but before that I was running Fedora / Red Hat for years. I have a lot of respect for Red Hat and they are a wonderful company that does contribute a great deal to the Linux kernel, X.Org, and surrounding projects. Red Hat is phenomenal and Fedora is still a great distribution.

I have no serious issues with Red Hat, if some of this article sounded negative in regards to Red Hat, it was because of information that I was made aware of in regards to this situation.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Then you can not use vdpau, but if you like to...
              Don't care. XV is very fine

Comment

I'd like to use it on my mobile GeForce 4200 TI (nv28), if compositing and video works.

Comment

heh ... the problem is the cards that don't require the ctx_voodoo also are not well supported at the moment in fact from the status matrix any thing less than a geforce 7xxx series isn't going to do much beyond 2D (which should be stable) and in the case of my geforce 2 nouveau is actually slower than nv for 2D http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

I beleive that is due to all the work going into the newer cards which is quite reasonalbe in my opinion since they are the low hanging fruit.

I would like to see some proformace comparisons on the 2D side .... and 3D comparisons on cards that support it setting up git mesa drivers is also relativly trivial on archlinux and I imagine its fairly easy on fedora as well.

Comment

I'll be trying it out in the near future with my nVidia GeForce 9500GS.

Comment

KMS will greatly improve the usability of my Xorg-less server (which has a Geforce 8400 GS), and I think I'll try it on my two GTX 285 (main pc), but since I need 3d, SLI, Cuda and others it will be only a fallback. It is a great project though.

Comment

Working...
                      X