No announcement yet.

KDE 3.5 rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand the complaints about Dolphin.

Konqueror is still there, you can still use it as a file manager, what's the problem?

Just because Dolphin is the default now doesn't mean that you have to use it.

Comment

Dolphin is quite tweakable and can be made to perform nearly like a orthodox file manager with the right settings. Still, though I disagree that KDE4 is garbage, I found it wasn't the type of environment in which I wanted to work. Just too slick, far too much eye candy, and missing such basic functionality out of the box as right clicking on the desktop for a popup system menu.

Seeing as how that seems to be the that the KDE developers are going to stick to, it's best just to move on and switch to something more to your liking. I decided on Openbox, whose minimal functionality allows one to piece things together exactly to their liking.

Comment

Originally posted by EzInKy View Post
        ...Just too slick, far too much eye candy, and missing such basic functionality out of the box as right clicking on the desktop for a popup system menu.
        Ah.. Yes.. A comrade
        With air theme and no compositing/'A'lpha, it looks ugly. Sure, when we turn on the compositing, it feels beautiful. But then..

It makes me go-forth-and-back to gnome (which still have a good-lookingness) either with compositing or not.

Looks like the future with KDE4 is compositing.. No space left for non-composite (It's just an ugly DE without composite, no?) ..OH, wait, we have 'aya' theme here. Lucky us
        Last edited by t.s.; 18 January 2010, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EzInKy View Post
          ...missing such basic functionality out of the box as right clicking on the desktop for a popup system menu.
          KDE4 has this.

Comment

Yes.

I use it all the time to change display settings or whenever I log out.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
              KDE4 has this.
              Originally posted by pingufunkybeat
              Yes.

I use it all the time to change display settings or whenever I log out.
              I guess I should have said "Application Menu" instead of "System Menu", but to me they are one in the same. No matter really, whatever direction they want to take is fine. They're the ones writing the software after all, and the more they write the more I can use to piece together my "Frankenstein" environment B-)
              Last edited by EzInKy; 19 January 2010, 02:04 AM.

Comment

keyboard short cuts

KDE 4.x seems to be missing in keyboard shortcuts. In KDE3 I have global keyboard shortcuts which bring up certain applications. There are also "application shortcuts" you can set for things start of line, end of line, and os, to make your KDE apps, say, emacs like. I haven't been able to figure out how to do either of these things in KDE4.

Comment

I'm just wondering why everyone's bashing Dolphin or its default configuration
                  As for me, I really like Dolphin as it's really easy to use and has a nice design (IMO). Its default config is just what an "average" user does need: things like file previews (you can even make it play movies or sounds), flexible file selection via mouse, icon resize by a scrolling bar. All "common" settings like icon display/arrangement style are put together in a nice interface.

At least that's my opinion about Dolphin, just to say that there are actually people who like the default config

Comment

Originally posted by iseggev View Post
                    KDE 4.x seems to be missing in keyboard shortcuts. In KDE3 I have global keyboard shortcuts which bring up certain applications. There are also "application shortcuts" you can set for things start of line, end of line, and os, to make your KDE apps, say, emacs like. I haven't been able to figure out how to do either of these things in KDE4.
                    System Settings > Input Actions (in the General tab)

Comment

It funny how many items are being mentioned as being missing from KDE3 but they have just relocated it.

Comment

Working...
                      X