Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part 2 Of Nouveau Saga: The Microcode

Phoronix: Part 2 Of Nouveau Saga: The Microcode

Following a feature-packed DRM pull request this morning for the Linux 2.6.33 kernel, Linus Torvalds became frustrated that the Nouveau driver for supporting NVIDIA hardware was still not to be found in this most recent pull request. Linus wants Nouveau in the mainline kernel especially as Red Hat has already been shipping this free software driver in Fedora for two releases. Only a few hours have passed since that second news article, but more messages surrounding the Nouveau status have been sent on the kernel mailing list and dri-devel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought the whole point of reverse engineering this ting from the ground up was so that we wouldn't have to deal with issues like this...

Comment

Will nvidia respond? How might they respond? Will power users move away from ubuntu in 2010 because its lagging in this department? Or perhaps using nouveau will not be desirable until ubuntu 10.10? Perhaps at ubuntu 10.10 the kernel / X / driver situation will be perfected and we will all use nouveau and have blazing fast tear free rendering, flicker free booting incredible gaming performance as we flip between quake wars 2 and google chrome on our multicore 64 bit beast machines. Perhaps with virtualbox direct3d support thru gallium we can have a 4x4 cube wall of virtualized windows guests on our 16 core, 32gig ram monsterbox running every quake version and call of duty version ever made and 1080p video decoding on the other side, all balanced perfectly with the CFS scheduler, or perhaps kernel patching will return and we all will use the BFS and jenx adxobe will finally balance the CFQ so well that all those games can load levels at the same time from our SSD drive arrays as we are backing up our complete FLAC discography of all recorded works ever made to our vulcan database exabyte western digital NAS android cell phones. Only time will tell.

Comment

Linus should get off his high horse

the project is open source. Linus should stop being a brat and get off his high horse and do the work himself if he is so concerned about it. He shouldn't be yelling at the community, especially since most of them aren't paid.

He should probably be worried about the shitty state of the entire graphics stack on linux more than one piece of DRM code. Xorg and mesa are in a poor state and are continuously falling short of goals.

Comment

Originally posted by oneman View Post
          Will nvidia respond? How might they respond? Will power users move away from ubuntu in 2010 because its lagging in this department? Or perhaps using nouveau will not be desirable until ubuntu 10.10? Perhaps at ubuntu 10.10 the kernel / X / driver situation will be perfected and we will all use nouveau and have blazing fast tear free rendering, flicker free booting incredible gaming performance as we flip between quake wars 2 and google chrome on our multicore 64 bit beast machines. Perhaps with virtualbox direct3d support thru gallium we can have a 4x4 cube wall of virtualized windows guests on our 16 core, 32gig ram monsterbox running every quake version and call of duty version ever made and 1080p video decoding on the other side, all balanced perfectly with the CFS scheduler, or perhaps kernel patching will return and we all will use the BFS and jenx adxobe will finally balance the CFQ so well that all those games can load levels at the same time from our SSD drive arrays as we are backing up our complete FLAC discography of all recorded works ever made to our vulcan database exabyte western digital NAS android cell phones. Only time will tell.
          I don't think you will see that with nouveau. But with ati's oss implementation you might.

Comment

Would it be likely that nVidia have patents or licensed code in the microcode?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
              Would it be likely that nVidia have patents or licensed code in the microcode?
              That could very well be the case...as there might even be 3rd party code contained in the microcode. That would have to be determined by nVidia though. If they cannot license the microcode, then most likely it is due to 3rd party licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by willtriv View Post
                the project is open source. Linus should stop being a brat and get off his high horse and do the work himself if he is so concerned about it. He shouldn't be yelling at the community, especially since most of them aren't paid.

He should probably be worried about the shitty state of the entire graphics stack on linux more than one piece of DRM code. Xorg and mesa are in a poor state and are continuously falling short of goals.
                Two things:

1) Linus only deals with the kernel level parts of the stack, which is exactly what he is complaining about

2) Most of the people he yells at are paid to work on it.

Comment

Repeat after me:

"I will not link to SourceForge mailing list archives."

They are crap to navigate. In fact, I have no idea how I can easily go to previous/next message in the thread there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fazer View Post
                    Repeat after me:

"I will not link to SourceForge mailing list archives."

They are crap to navigate. In fact, I have no idea how I can easily go to previous/next message in the thread there.
                    I don't think you can....

Comment

Working...
                    X