Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Great Present In The Linux 2.6.33 Kernel

Phoronix: A Great Present In The Linux 2.6.33 Kernel

David Airlie has just called upon Linus Torvalds to pull in the latest DRM patches for inclusion into the Linux 2.6.33 kernel. The Direct Rendering Manager improvements in this next kernel release will be particularly interesting and are perhaps as significant as earlier kernels that had introduced kernel mode-setting support for Intel and ATI/AMD hardware along with in-kernel memory management...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have 4 words for ya. I.. LOVE.. THIS.. COMPANY! Yeah!

No wait, wrong forum

Fedora 13 is going to one hack of a release with all this stuff going in!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      will not be immediately beneficial to Linux desktop users with Canonical having decided to ship Ubuntu 10.04 with the Linux 2.6.32 kernel instead
      You do realize that there are more distros than just Ubuntu, don't you? (note: I sometimes/often question whether or not you actually do...)

i.e. Dave Airlie works for RH, so you can bet that it will hit Fedora first. If not in F12/testing, then at least in Rawhide -- and this will be WAY before ubunuptu 10.04.

Comment

hehe. yes, that was what I was hitting in my own discrete way

I wouldn't even be surprised if F12 got updated to 2.6.33 in a months time. F12 is pretty new, and I recall that I have seen updates on my Fedora that upgraded the kernel twice in F10.

Comment

Since I haven't yet have time to read into the poulsbo issue:
          will this change the horrible GMA500 situation?

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
            I doubt it.

Since Intel did not develop the GMA500 graphics it's probably no up to them to open it up. So it's going to keep on sucking.

The people that can do that are Imagination Technologies and with very little competition and choice in the Linux embedded graphics arena I doubt they really care that much. Typical embedded developer attitudes are: "Hack the software until it works. After that? Nobody cares. Stop wasting time with what currently works and start hacking the driver to work on the next project". The idea of code reuse and the point of having stuff open source is kinda lost on those types of folks since they come from a background of writing one-off software for small systems.

Imagination licenses embedded graphics, vision & AI, and multi-standard communications SoC IP cores that power the world’s most iconic devices.

Comment

Well GMA 500 seems to be interesting but the drivers should at least 100% work even if parts are binary. What i absolutely dislike is when a driver does not work as expected - then you have to boot another os to use the hardware as intended...

Comment

Is it just the GMA 500 chipset that Imagination Technologies is "working on" or will they be responsible for all the future Intel-chipsets?

Comment

Freudian slip?

Freudian slip?
                  Originally posted by Louise View Post

Fedora 13 is going to one hack of a release with all this stuff going in!

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                    Wasn't there a new, open DRM and xorg driver posted for the GMA 500 chips? This would leave only the 3d mesa driver as a binary blob, which may not be ideal, but would be far better than what we have now.

Having a hard time coming up with a google hit for this info, however. Maybe I'm having a brain fart?

Comment

Working...
                    X