Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD3200 and UVD2 clarification

Hello
    Just trying to sort out conflicting information on various Internet sites.

This link says

"UVD2 is implemented in the Radeon RV7x0 and R7x0 series GPUs. This also includes the RS7x0 series used for the AMD 700 chipset series IGP motherboards."

However in the immediate section below the Table lists RS780 as having UVD not UVD2.

This pdf also seems to indicate HD3200 has UVD2

splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

"This enables users to enjoy fully accelerated H.264 video playback in a web-browser on a large range of hardware including and not limited to AMD graphical processing units with UVD2 (Radeon HD 3200 IGP and Radeon HD 4000 series discrete cards)..."

I'm just trying to figure out if I will be able to enjoy XvBA XvMC benefits ever in a future release on my 780G ...

Cheers
    Last edited by Ragool; 06 December 2009, 04:07 AM.

Afaik, UVD2 can decode two H.264 streams simultaneously which the RS780 cannot.
    But UVD version is reportedly new enough to work with xvba-video.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      Afaik, UVD2 can decode two H.264 streams simultaneously which the RS780 cannot.
      But UVD version is reportedly new enough to work with xvba-video.
      The RS780 can decode two H.264 streams simultaneously: 1 HD (1080p) and 1 SD. In practise, more streams can be supported provided the real-time constraints are respected. Otherwise, you can get frames dropped. This works equivalently to NVIDIA or Intel chips and drivers.

Comment

Nvidia can decode multiply full hd videos without hacks with 195.22 driver. For older drivers you needed to export an environment var.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Nvidia can decode multiply full hd videos without hacks with 195.22 driver. For older drivers you needed to export an environment var.
          The following applies to NVIDIA as well: "provided the real-time constraints are respected. Otherwise, you can get frames dropped". IOW, this can be slower to decode.

Comment

Well i have got files with 2 video streams, but i miss a mplayer patch to switch between em on the fly - using vid option is a bit boring.

Comment

Thanks for responding.

So the 780G has UVD2? Here is more conflicting information

"We jump from Universal Video Decoder (UVD) 1.0 on the 780G to UVD 2.0 capabilities on the 785G."

TIA
              Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Ragool View Post
                So the 780G has UVD2? Here is more conflicting information
                This is what the driver says. IGPs are a mixture of different blocks. The VPU can be UVD2 while GPU could be older graphics core. I believe the chipset would have gained another name than a simple "update" to RS785 if more than the GPU changed.

Comment

One of the complications is that there are really about 5 different revisions of UVD out there. The versions get simplifed for marketing into "UVD1, UVD2" but that doesn't really cover all the nuances of what features & programming model are present with each class of GPU.

The UVD block in 780 is, IIRC, an early version of UVD2 which had most, but not all of the features we associate with "UVD2" internally. I think the official line between UVD1 and UVD2 was drawn a bit later, but from a programming standpoint the 780's decode block does fall into the UVD2 bucket.

New display and video features normally show up first in IGP parts, since they are expected to have a longer life in the market and since display and video are their primary purpose, rather than high performance 3D.
                  Test signature

Comment

Might these nuances between video decoding blocks also explain why I am not seeing that the UVD feature is available as described here?

Comment

Working...
                    X