Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.1.34 Brings Many More Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 1.1.34 Brings Many More Fixes

It's Friday and it's time for a new bi-weekly development release of the Wine software. Wine 1.1.34 this time around brings a lot of changes, but a few that are noteworthy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've given up on Wine years ago. Nothing can spoil a great Linux setup faster than trying to make this stuff do anything on it.

I wish all the best to it's developers but it's been too gone for too long IMO. There's just no good reason to struggle with this anymore.

Comment

Maybe you don't know that there are Linux apps which internally use wine like picasa?

Comment

Originally posted by whiskey_tango View Post
        I've given up on Wine years ago. Nothing can spoil a great Linux setup faster than trying to make this stuff do anything on it.
        IMO you are Wrong on all accounts.

I tried Linux years ago and it didn't support much of my hardware. So it must be true today? Same assumption, different project, and just as wrong.

I've yet to see Wine "spoil" a Linux setup. Even if a Windows program totally fails to work right... all my Linux apps work fine. What do you mean by "spoil"?

I wish all the best to it's developers but it's been too gone for too long IMO. There's just no good reason to struggle with this anymore.
        If you wished the best to Wine developers you'd stop trolling their work with misguided and outdated accusations of failure and uselessness. There are thousands of Wine users who disagree with you and would call Wine a success.

Comment

Interesting... so I can judge Windows7 based on Vista? or Ubuntu 9.10 based on Ubuntu 7.10? This hardly makes sense... one must evaluate a tool based on current needs, and current abilities.

I run a number of Windows apps under it just fine, and it has supported my Linux setup by running FireFox/Flash for when for some reason the Linux versions can't... not everything works perfectly, one minor app I'd like to use doesn't work at all for me, but it's still an essential part of my toolkit.

Comment

I think the regular Wine devs are doing a great job - and the results continue to improve by leaps and bounds.

I very seldom need to run any Windows programs anymore, but Wine gives me that option without the need to waste money on a Windows license to run in a VM. It's very nice to be able to fire up Steam and check out the latest demos and have them just work.

Comment

I totally agree with you. That's why Ubuntu doesn't come with Wine by default. It only creates expectations and excitement only to find out that it almost doesn't run anything correctly and spoils the entire Linux expectatons. It is better so see Linux as Linux and not as a Windows replacement or successor because it just can't be that. No matter how good the Wine integration is.

How come that even with the Windows version of Quake 2, which is now FLOSS, everything works untill I jump into the water. It always crashes. It is like that with so much Windows games. They all work under Wine, for a few minutes and then you find out that a single stupid feature that you absolutely need just doesn't work :/

Someday you will eventually be able to run your old games and whatnot... So it doesn't hurt that much to have the Wine project around...

Comment

Thats really weird with Q2 is using OpenGL which works usually not much slower than a native binary. You should report a bug i guess if thats really the case.

Comment

Heh, I have the same experience with Q3; native works great, in Wine I have corruption and crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Thats really weird with Q2 is using OpenGL which works usually not much slower than a native binary. You should report a bug i guess if thats really the case.
                    I know, but it's just one of those thousand examples. It also crasheh when I run it in software rendering mode. It creates about 3 frames and then boom! Lock...

I don't know what it is though... I have a very powerful PC. It's the same with Counter-Strike: Source. It's just not stable, or limits the amount of CPU space and then gets a buffer overrun or something. The cmd output doesn't tell me anything useful. It's always different with different games, but it never just tells me the real problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X