No announcement yet.

KDE Puts Out Software Compilation 4.4 Beta 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird. I'm on Gentoo too, with KDE 4.3.4. I don't have this problem.

Comment

I have 4.3.3. Did you have it with that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        But I use Gentoo. My system needs 30 secs to boot and about 40secs for KDE to log out
        Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        Yeah the logout time is embarrassing, I wonder what would people say if Windows 7 did that along with spitting pages or warnings, errors, segfaults.
        Well nothing interesting, I'll install KDE when they will release leak free code, improve performance by a least 1.5x, and decrease memory usage by half. And maybe release more useful QT4 programs, but this is very unlikely.
        Sorry but, really few people nowadays have problems with kde slow performance, memory leakage, or even that logout thing. In fact, most of the time the problem was downstream, and not KDE fault, at all.

KDE (SC) 4 is shaping up very well and I`m not afraid at seeing it as a great mean for the Linux thing to take over Windows. Specially if Wine becomes something totally trivial...

Comment

I switched to KDE after 9 years of continual use of Gnome. Just for fun. I had free time and wanted to use something different.
          Overall, KDE is impressive, especially Dolphin's preview abilities (I won't run a comparison between KDE and Gnome, no worthy reason) but this slowness in log-out time is atrocious
          I like the speed of dolphin when browsing through folders, much snappier than nautilus. But once you enable single click browse mode they are comparable. Other annoying issue with nautilus is that sometimes I have to press shit+delete 3 or 4 times to delete a folder.

Comment

I have 4.3.3. Did you have it with that one?
            Nope.

Edit:
            I have disabled this "semantic desktop" thingy though ("-semantic-desktop" in make.conf). Might have something to do with it.
            Last edited by RealNC; 04 December 2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriano ML View Post
              Sorry but, really few people nowadays have problems with kde slow performance, memory leakage, or even that logout thing. In fact, most of the time the problem was downstream, and not KDE fault, at all.
              Spend some time with valgrind, you'll be terrified. Stable vanilla KDE will crawl and segfault at logout, lack of responsivity however can be attributed to the Xorg's stack and the method Qt utilizes to render stuff. Problems are right there, but people just accept the way things are and convince themselves that there's nothing wrong. Much like I don't need audio on Linux, hardware mixing, or who cares about OpenGL 3.2 compliant 3D rendering API.

Comment

I like the speed of dolphin when browsing through folders, much snappier than nautilus. But once you enable single click browse mode they are comparable. Other annoying issue with nautilus is that sometimes I have to press shit+delete 3 or 4 times to delete a folder.
                I didn't have such a problem with nautilus and yes I find Dolphin faster.

One thing I miss in KDE is an easy switch user plugin. My 60 years old father has real problem when need to go to menu and then hit the switch user button to find himself before a list of half a dozen users (that thing shows the command line logged users as well and that sucks) and when finally he hits the correct button (prey he didn't hit the console user by mistake) he finds himself before a locked session and needs to unlock it (even if his acount is passwordless). Why the hell the locked sessions are enabled by default and where is the option to change it? With Gnome I had a nice face/button on his panel and with a click he got just the graphically logged users, without stupid locked screens.
                Last edited by Apopas; 04 December 2009, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Nope.

Edit:
                  I have disabled this "semantic desktop" thingy though ("-semantic-desktop" in make.conf). Might have something to do with it.
                  Hmmm I have it. I will try without it when I install 4.3.4.
                  But it's a nice feature... isn't it?

Comment

I don't have a use for it. I know where my files are, I don't need to index them :P

Comment

Now if only Qt would replace Gtk as the standard widget toolkit, then KDE would be perfect.

Even with qtcurve, Gtk apps look a little funny.

Comment

Working...
                      X