Ubuntu and the community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu and the community

I've got to say something for Ubuntu. Most of people in the open source community, especially the developers, are overlooking at the technical contributions and underlooking at other aspects. Yes, everybody knows that technical contribution is what makes Linux and open source community grows and improve, but as a real operating system, Linux is for end-users to use, not some toys for just developers and researchers. The most common problems for a newbie linux end-user is not bugs or new features, but rather how to install/run linux and what apps to use. I believe everybody admits that among all the distributions, ubuntu is the most easy-to-use and most end-user-friendly one. And that is in my opinion the biggest contribution to the community. End-users need not to worry about what to use or how to install, and no need to worry about library dependencies. These problems may be simple and clear for advanced users like us, but they will KILL the enthusiasm for a lot of potential linux endusers. If the open source community and Linux really wants to compete with other OS in desktop area, this is one BIG issue. Packaging is not "just take" from the community, you have to contribute experiences/configurations etc as well, although in a not-so-obvious way.

In a word, less patch does not mean everything, and packaging is also one form of contribution. Open source community should not only open copy-rights, but also open their minds as well.
Working...
X