Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon DRM Driver Gets New Branches

Phoronix: Radeon DRM Driver Gets New Branches

David Airlie, the Linux kernel DRM maintainer and the Red Hat employee responsible for a good portion of the open-source ATI Linux driver work, has announced changes in how he will be handling his DRM kernel branches and the addition of some new branches for ATI customers wishing to experiment with the latest Radeon driver code. Under this new plan David will be controlling the drm-core-next, drm-radeon-next, drm-next, and drm-radeon-testing. Descriptions of these Git branches for the Direct Rendering Manager code can be found on the dri-devel mailing list. The important branches for desktop users wishing to experiment with the latest code is drm-next and drm-radeon-testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this in any way relate to the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package that is available for Fedora 12?

Comment

No - this is for the gpu driver in the kernel. I believe the mesa experimental package just gives you the userspace 3D driver - the kernel and X drivers are already in your system.
      Test signature

Comment

Is there any changelog (other than checking git) with feature list of the new branches?

OT: I wonder when Radeon Gallium3D drivers will be usefull and stable to be used by default in Ubuntu and Fedora and what advantages it will bring over than Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          Galium3D is a long way...

next step is make openGL2.0 usefull and stable for mesa8.8
          I hope you meant mesa 7.8

Comment

Galium3D is a long way...

next step is make openGL2.0 usefull and stable for mesa8.8

thats the big Deal!

because the next KDE 4.4 will have OpenGL2.0 acceleration.
            It would be great! (KDE 4.4 + OpenGL 2.0@Mesa)
            Maybe my Radeon 9600 and X300 will get some more power...

Comment

You can test this! i test it by my self on the GAME:HON witout 7.8+(kms+opengl) the game do not start because GSGL 1.1 is needet (openGL2) with 7.8 and kms+OpenGL2 activated the game starts!
              The GLSL code is only for radeonhd at the moment: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...7dad5ef3a783d0

Comment

What logic should be behind this?

Comment

So, what does a dumb user like myself, who compiles this stuff nightly, need to do?

Switch branches to radeon-testing? Stick with drm-next?

I guess drm-radeon-testing is what I want...

Comment

@Qaridarium: KDE 4.4 (released in about two months) does not really use take advantage of OpenGL 2 yet. KDE 4.5 however will shine with OpenGL2/3 and that stuff is already heavily under development.

Comment

Working...
                    X