Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point....
    With the migration to a nehalem-based platform the need for a GT2xx for video decoding may become unnecessary!?

If this proves true then I'll still add a discrete card later, but a much stronger one based on nV's 'Ferni'.
    This could be added/removed when needed for gaming...
    Last edited by jalyst; 03 January 2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Do you reckon it's overkill to migrate to this for a front-end or should I wait for nV's ION2 or Intel's Pinetrail + Broadcom VA?

Do you reckon a Clarkdale (pentium) + mobo. will be the same price as a similarly configured Wolfdale + G45 mobo. is now?
      I don't want to wait 6-weeks only to find I'm paying 10% (or more) extra ...
      Last edited by jalyst; 03 January 2010, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Compared to an older Core2 cpu the speed for a new i3-530 (about 107 € in germany) intel cpu is really impressive in the already known benchmarks. If you don't need quad core (for heavy compiling) you will certainly like it.

Comment

I'm tempted to 'bite the bullet' and get an all-in-one solution like this...
          But I think I'll wait & put together the cheapest Pentium clarkdale + mATX Q57 or H57 solution I can find.

Differences between the series 5 chipsets are explained well here
          Last edited by jalyst; 03 January 2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

ion is interesting in the very small variants which could be directly mounted on the backside of a new tv. from the price however you pay the same - you just need more space - and get lots more performance.

Comment

That's true, initial costs will be similar because of the premium one pays for a sub-mATX board.
              And if the usage pattern is similar, then a clarkdale-based system shouldn't use dramatically more power.

Except a clarkdale system without a GT2xx will rely on CPU decode via VAAPI, so avg. CPU usage should be higher.
              But Nehalem is a more efficient architecture than Atom, so I guess it equalises out.
              Last edited by jalyst; 06 January 2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

The max power usage should not really matter when it does not run 24/7. Without extra gfx cards it is really low. Maybe ION with mobile technology is less, but not with a standard ATX PSU.

Comment

Sorry to just jump in here. I just read (most of) this thread. I am big fan of mythtv and have about 5 frontends running of our backend. We get over the air HD and it's working like a charm.

jalyst, I am just wondering what the purpose of the system is you are trying to build.

Are you trying to get a frontend that gets used for nothing else, meaning it's attached to the TV and stays there? Or are you going to use it for Gaming/Desktop purposes? Are you worried about the resell value/re-usability should you take it down?

I have been struggling with this question for a while and done a bit of research to find what would be the most bank for buck.

For now, for a dedicated front-end it look very much like I am getting the Acer Revo (ION, 9400M) to replace our old clunky P4's.

Comment

If you read through this thread you'll have seen why ION is ruled-out for me.
                    Decoding prowess is great, but not the best available.

ION2 fixes that, but why wait when clarkdale can do everything it does using CPU+GPU & then some!?
                    And even if it does pull-up short in some VA areas, a discrete GT210 will fix that.

I want primarily a media player, but also a web terminal & a host of other things at times...
                    Last edited by jalyst; 10 January 2010, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                      If you read through this thread you'll have seen why ION is ruled-out for me.
                      Decoding prowess is great, but not the best available.

ION2 fixes that, but why wait when clarkdale can do everything it does using CPU+GPU & then some!?
                      And even if it does pull-up short in some VA areas, a discrete GT210 will fix that.

I want primarily a media player, but also a web terminal & a host of other things at times...
                      The only thing ION can't do is Advanced 2X Deinterlacing. The rest it can handle fine. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Supported_Cards

And the only times you need to worry about that is on 480i/1080i media, which will still look fine on Advanced 1X Deinterlacing or even Bob 2X (which is what I use on an 8600GT and it looks awesome).

As for websurfing, the Revo (3610 model) has a dual core Atom which is plenty to do things with. Gaming is decent, as long as you don't try playing a recent game on 1080P (this is according to reviewers on newegg and other places). But if you are a more serious gamer, it won't hold up.

I think the only thing you wouldn't like about the Revo is the fact that it doesn't have digital audio out. It only has a 3.5mm headphone jack.

But as far as a dedicated media frontend, with it's small power footprint, it's a winner in my opinion.

But again, as you mentioned you may have a different need/want for your system and that clarkdale system may be what you'd want.
                      Last edited by gtrawoger; 10 January 2010, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X