Xine-lib Update Improves A Bit For Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    I hate to see BR do the same mistakes with some kind of CSS and Region Codes like the DVD had again.
    As far as the manufacturers and media companies are concerned, the only mistake with CSS was that it was too weak. It will probably take at least another 5 years for attitudes to shift about "protection" in general, and that's a pretty optimistic estimate.

Comment

Well as css is no problem - usually other protections like bad sectors/structure protection are really bad for Linux. LinDVD handles those out of spec dvds too, but with fglrx it is no fun to use as it only uses xv output. Of course the best tools to rip those problematic dvds work with wine too, so you do not need it, but it takes a bit time to put it on hd first.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Is there already something like a livdvdcss for BlueRay? I hate to see BR do the same mistakes with some kind of CSS and Region Codes like the DVD had again. Thing is, that I used RC free firmware for all my DVD drives and that there is libdvdcss and Linux itself won't care about RC and stuff any further. So DVD is okay. But BR is still having these issues. And then maybe there's even additional macrovision, HDCP stuff neccessary. Does anybody have recent infos on these issues?

And imagine all the power that is wasted by decryption of GBytes of data...
        Won't likely ever happen for BluRay, CSS was fatally flawed in so many ways, AACS/BD+ (the replacements) are essentially upgradable so you constantly need new versions to decrypt. Only AnyDVD is managing to keep up, the open source community has some MKV keys and some basic BD+ understanding to decode older discs but likely they won't put real effort behind it until there's a stable target, or AnyDVD has to give up/shut down. Besides, Linux has several issues with:

1) No BluRay menu support
        2) No BluRay "playlist" support, without it's just clips
        3) Issues with some H.264 streams, it seems
        4) Unsupported video formats, like 1080i VC-1
        5) Cropping/aspect issues on vids that aren't 1920x1080
        6) Unsupported audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA)

If everything else was working, you could at least use the output of AnyDVD under Linux. My last test found it was waaaaaaay too much trouble, and all of those things can be worked on without doing anything illegal.

By the way, AnyDVD HD doesn't run in WINE but oddly enough it runs from a VirtualBox running Windows and can decrypt a BluRay on the host. So it would be possible, WINE just doesn't emulate Windows well enough...

Comment

1) The bluray support in the patch does nothing else than selecting the biggest file in the dir. I think i manage to do that too... A menu with java engine would be really cool however. Checking the file size with

ls -rSlh

is not that problematic for me...

4) Could you tell me which movie uses this?

6) is just a problem in mplayers default demuxer, i have got a patch for that but i did not like to post it on the mailinglist myself as i hate mailinglists. Feel free to use it and post it on the ml if you like to. It fixes all audio detection issues with m2ts files i tried so far without using -demuxer lavf.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
            Linux has several issues with:

1) No BluRay menu support
            2) No BluRay "playlist" support, without it's just clips
            3) Issues with some H.264 streams, it seems
            4) Unsupported video formats, like 1080i VC-1
            5) Cropping/aspect issues on vids that aren't 1920x1080
            6) Unsupported audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA)
            I don't have a BD-drive so cannot test the actual state, there is support for at least the following in xine-lib 1.2

4) http://hg.debian.org/hg/xine-lib/xin...v/59e232642441 (unless it is the 1080i that's the problem)
            6) http://hg.debian.org/hg/xine-lib/xin...v/9e22e02b31db

Comment

Do you know who Petri Hintukainen is? He works on

Download VDR xine-lib output device for free. VDR plugin: xine-lib based software output device for VDR.

too. Maybe i package xine lib 1.2 soon as there is a libvdpau-dev package now in debian (which i modified a bit to remove the hard libvdpau-driver depend) in this variant:

Thats much more interesting than the old 1.1 vdpau version.

Comment

Working...
              X