Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Software Compilation 4.3.4 Released

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.3.4 Released

Last month the KDE development community announced their plans to reposition the KDE brand. With what was previously just called "KDE" to mean the entire desktop and its packages, that is to now be called the "KDE Software Compilation" and KDE is no longer to mean the K Desktop Environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The expanded term "K Desktop Environment" has become ambiguous and obsolete, probably even misleading. Settling on "KDE" as a self-contained term makes it clear that we have made the shift from a limited set of software components to a community providing an ecosystem of free software applications and platforms for the end user on the desktop, mobile devices, and more.

The term "K Desktop Environment" can be accurately and completely replaced by "KDE Community", "KDE Platform", "KDE Applications" or specific KDE application names, depending on what is actually meant.

For the desktop itself we will have the clearer name "KDE Workspace". The huge set of KDE applications can be put under the KDE umbrella brand using more specific brands for individual applications or application suites. The confusion about what a desktop environment is and implies can be avoided by using clearer terms in this manner.
    Can someone explain this, please? Doesn't this feel sort of a step back in terms of branding? "KDE" was a very well-known acronym that translated to "K Desktop Enviroment" - which not only made sense, but it also had a strong brand presense.

I'm not saying the new branding is bad, but it sounds slightly annoying (KDE Okular, do we really need a second "K" in there?)

Bah, it's branding so whatever suits their boat, but the change does feel somewhat forced.

Preemptive snarky comments, Raymond Chen style:
    • Gnome looks like Windows 98 and I wish it would die.
    • Also Michael, please proof-read your articles before posting them. (Just kidding, the article is just fine).

Comment

Version 4.4 of the KDE Software Compilation brings a Plasma fix [...]
      Version 4.3.4.

KDE SC 4.4 Beta 1 will be released in two days btw.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        "KDE" was a very well-known acronym that translated to "K Desktop Enviroment"
        Hmm, I always thought KDE was an acronym for "Kitsch Desktop Environment"

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Hmm, I always thought KDE was an acronym for "Kitsch Desktop Environment"
          YMMD!

(stupid 10 character limit)

Comment

KDE Software Compilation is too much of a mouthful to ever use.
            I'll stick with KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              KDE Software Compilation is too much of a mouthful to ever use.
              I'll stick with KDE.
              but it sure does sound like commercia software. for some reason companies think naming giving their products long names sounds clever

Comment

The new "name" sucks. But anyway, I'm not using it because of the name.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  I'm not saying the new branding is bad, but it sounds slightly annoying (KDE Okular, do we really need a second "K" in there?)[/LIST]
                  If they're doing that, then maybe we can finally get them to drop the stupid "design app names around a specific letter" naming scheme!

Something that GNOME is way ahead of them on doing, BTW. Maybe Ubuntu forced them at gunpoint to do it, but it's one thing they actually get right these days.

Comment

The general observation was that KDE is not purely a Desktop any more, so "K Desktop Environment" doesn't apply. It contains a desktop shell, but it also contains a whole bunch of applications that can be used on gnome/xfce/windows without ever touching the plasma shell.
                    There's also a strong KDE community, and changing KDE to refer to the community instead of the product(s) is a clever move to strengthen that.

That being said, I don't like the name "KDE Software Compilation" either, especially as it leads to ugly acronym stacking like "KDE SC". They could have chosen a shorter name that doesn't need to be abbreviated, like "KDE Suite" or something.

But anyway, that's minor details. We'll live

Comment

Working...
                    X