Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD R600/700 DRM Interrupts Support Pushed

Phoronix: AMD R600/700 DRM Interrupts Support Pushed

One of the underlying features that has been lacking from the ATI R600/700 DRM / kernel mode-setting driver on Linux has been support for interrupts, which is needed for the sync-to-vblank operation and other important areas. Interrupts support has been lacking since AMD has not yet published any documentation concerning them for the Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 series ASICs, but today their code has cleared the legal review process for publishing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Business as usual for our beloved opensource developers

How much stuff that is basicly done is there currently waiting for the legal reviews process to finish?

Comment

very nice. I hope the documentary will follow. And that means that I need to recompile my kernel from drm-next or any other branch?

Comment

No vblank without interrups? I thought in Fedora 12 vblank is enabled by default and that causes a bit worse performance? How is that possible?

I think I read somewhere that interrups were necessary for good power management. Hopefully powersaving becomes more effective.

Thanks Alex for this nice code!

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
          No vblank without interrups? I thought in Fedora 12 vblank is enabled by default and that causes a bit worse performance? How is that possible?

I think I read somewhere that interrups were necessary for good power management. Hopefully powersaving becomes more effective.

Thanks Alex for this nice code!
          afaik interrupts are needed for changing the clock of the gpu memory, so you can change the clock inbetween rendering 2 frames...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Business as usual for our beloved opensource developers

How much stuff that is basicly done is there currently waiting for the legal reviews process to finish?
            Not much -- just analog VGA support for Evergreen AFAIK. We tried to push all the important (and difficult) stuff through legal review earlier so that all the development work could be done in public repositories.

It's not like there's a big heap of ready-to-go documentation just waiting to be released. All of the code and docs you see are being purpose-written for the open source effort, and until we get something working it's not clear what we need to review & release.

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
            That's for 5xx/rs6xx and below, where interrupts were already supported. This new code does the same for 6xx/7xx.
            Last edited by bridgman; 30 November 2009, 05:14 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Hi everyone,

great news for radeon oss, anyone know if it will be available on fedora 12 or we will need to recompile the kernel?
              Last edited by Sly154; 30 November 2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Not much -- just analog VGA support for Evergreen AFAIK.
                I'm afraid that would mean you missed HDMI fixes from Alex... :|

Comment

Whoops, yeah... make that "just analog VGA for Evergreen and HDMI audio patches for KMS"
                  Test signature

Comment

I'll be happy the day I install Ubuntu with my ati hd 2600xt card, install foobillard and have 3d working (and without the ati bug that shows shadows around the table).

Nvidia: http://taufanlubis.files.wordpress.c...foobillard.png

Ati fglrx or open source driver: http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/game...obillard-3.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X