No announcement yet.

Completely BROKEN KWIN with KMS/Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was already thinking I'm the only one with this issue. Hopefully this gets fixed soon

Comment

same here. KDE4 is broken (artifacts everywhere) with actual mesa-git. I tested it with my Intel and my ATI (r600) card, both have the same artifacts!
      The ATI with KMS leads to even more artifacts (an almost totally broken desktop), with UMS the desktop is still "usable".

My system:
      Thinkpad T500
      ARCH linux and kernel/libdrm/mesa/xf86-video-ati from git

Armin

Comment

Originally posted by Armin View Post
        same here. KDE4 is broken (artifacts everywhere) with actual mesa-git. I tested it with my Intel and my ATI (r600) card, both have the same artifacts!
        The ATI with KMS leads to even more artifacts (an almost totally broken desktop), with UMS the desktop is still "usable".

My system:
        Thinkpad T500
        ARCH linux and kernel/libdrm/mesa/xf86-video-ati from git

Armin
        This is a known bug with a known fix. see

and revert the commit mentioned and it works.

I found the bad commit on 20 November. It seems to be taking the mesa guys a while to understand the bug. It occurs in 7.7-rc1 as well as in 7.8-devel. If it was my call I would revert the commit and figure out why/what it broke later.

Comment

It's been reverted.

Comment

ok since the commit 286bf89e5a1fc931dbf523ded861b809859485e2 is reverted in mesa_7_7_branch this branch works fine again.
            and a manual revert of this commit in master also leads to a working mesa again.

Tested on ArchLinux with kernel 2.6.32-rc8 and libdrm/mesa(master and mesa_7_7_branch)/xf86-video-ati from git (updated today).

Something strange with this bug is, that once the artifacts occure they remain, even if I switch to my Intel graphics card and downgrade everything to ArchLinux stock packages.
            I had to reinstall the kdebase package to get rid of the artifacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Armin View Post
              ok since the commit 286bf89e5a1fc931dbf523ded861b809859485e2 is reverted in mesa_7_7_branch this branch works fine again.
              and a manual revert of this commit in master also leads to a working mesa again.

Tested on ArchLinux with kernel 2.6.32-rc8 and libdrm/mesa(master and mesa_7_7_branch)/xf86-video-ati from git (updated today).

Something strange with this bug is, that once the artifacts occure they remain, even if I switch to my Intel graphics card and downgrade everything to ArchLinux stock packages.
              I had to reinstall the kdebase package to get rid of the artifacts.
              Here I can turn on and off the corruption by rebuilding mesa with or without the commit and restarting X.

Comment

How do you revert a commit?

Comment

In console, from the folder where you cloned the git tree :
                  git revert commit_id

Comment

In today's mesa, it's still broken.

Comment

7.7 gets merged into master regularly, so it will end up in master soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X