Ubuntu is NOT a part of community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu is NOT a part of community

Yesterday, I saw interesting video of Greg Kroah-Hartman Linux Plumbers Keynote:

Greg Kroah-Hartman Linux Plumbers Keynote

It reassured me about my point of view of Ubuntu/Canonical. No matter what you think about ubuntu, the video is worth watching. The raw numbers are clear but I found most interesting moment Greg draws schemes on a board with people interacting upstream and downstream.

This is really old news.

Comment

There are improving. Maybe not with Linux, but with other desktop relevant fields (Gnome/KDE applications etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        There are improving. Maybe not with Linux, but with other desktop relevant fields (Gnome/KDE applications etc.).
        Good one.

For every component of Linux, Ubuntu was at the bottom of the list.

What I don't get is why this SITE promotes the heck out of Ubuntu when they contribute SO little to Linux and Open Source? Every test of hardware, it's Ubuntu. Drivers comparison? Ubuntu. Makes no sense to me. Ubuntu is the most popular mainstream Linux OS, so what? Use Fedora or Debian from time to time for tests. Or sidux or Mepis since they are more mainstream-oriented for debian-based distros. Or how about Mandriva which is quite noob friendly. At least, they contribute.

Also, is there a worse combo of Ubuntu and ATI?!?

Comment

A lot of distros work the same way, no just Ubuntu. It's just that since Ubuntu has grown so much people are starting to look at the problem more closely.

Comment

Ubuntu is very popular and compared to that the efforts they have to do on their own is lower than Red Hat and SuSE. If you create a distribution it is in most cases compared to U, so you have to be better in some areas otherwise somebody could just use U. ATI seems to love U in a way that they are the only ones that receive public beta drivers in time for a new release. Maybe because they focus on enterprise distributions and think that Fedora (which is usally the first major distro with new xserver) is only used by OSS supporters who dislike binary drivers anyway.

Comment

One of the controversial thing is, Ubuntu is traditionally and loudly mark themselves as the most communitiest community. Whitch is completelly bullshit. They have nothing to do with community. Even Debian, witch they clone, is not satisfied with the feedback.

Only taking and not giving back, this is not community.

Comment

Originally posted by next9 View Post
                One of the controversial thing is, Ubuntu is traditionally and loudly mark themselves as the most communitiest community. Whitch is completelly bullshit. They have nothing to do with community. Even Debian, witch they clone, is not satisfied with the feedback.

Only taking and not giving back, this is not community.

They are just playing with words. When they say "community" they usually mean their own community, as in their pool of users and own developers. In this aspect they are rather good and it rivals others like Fedora and such.
                But yeah, it sucks. I remember having a problem with new kernels and some motherboards with a certain chip. Ended up being a regression in the kernel but it took months for someone to even catch it. Got nowhere with Ubuntu and had to go to the kernel devs. directly. They acknowledged it, and provided a fix in a few weeks (compared to a dead end after several months dealing with Ubuntu devs.), and was even incorporated into later kernels.
                If you're a "user" and all you care about is having a working desktop to work on, the distros like Ubuntu aren't that bad; your problems are usually simple and can be easily resolved within their own "community". But if you're a developer of some kind, are interested in interacting with the Linux community, run a business of sorts that relies on high maintenance computer systems, then best look someplace else.

Comment

What is the ultimate Goal?

There are many excellent distributions of Linux available.

IMO we should be focusing on making Linux more popular with the general public (i.e reducing Microsoft's market share from 90+ %)

Ubuntu has taken a approach that seems to have some success.

We should be taking positive steps to replicate this success

Comment

Ubuntu is great and all, but ultimately Linux depends on community interaction. Ubuntu breaks this rule (as do many other smaller distros). Follow their model if you will, but don't forget about the basic necessities of Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X