Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    If Greg said:

He [also] meant Linux as entire OS, because Freebsd and Opensolaris are entire OS'es. So you called him a pedantic idiot, right?
    Answering question of GNOME/KDE contributions was not planned part of his speech, right? Hi did not comment anything around KDE/GNOME during his talk. And he answered, GNOME/KDE don't thematically belong to his speech.

and I don't see anything talking about Ubuntu parasitism in there. In other words, you just provided a "real world example" of a quotation fail.
    No. Just some Canonical cry for help and cooperation among distributions instead of bring new Xorg developers.

Comment

• Originally posted by next9 View Post
      Answering question of GNOME/KDE contributions was not planned part of his speech, right? Hi did not comment anything around KDE/GNOME during his talk. And he answered, GNOME/KDE don't thematically belong to his speech.
      Yeah, but your original argument was that Ubuntu does not contribute anything back to the Linux community, not just the Linux kernel - and that is simply not true. :P

No. Just some Canonical cry for help and cooperation among distributions instead of bring new Xorg developers.
      The mythical man month:
      Originally posted by wikipedia
      Assigning more programmers to a project running behind schedule will make it even later, due to the time required for the new programmers to learn about the project, as well as the increased communication overhead.

Comment

It mightn't of been a planned part of his speech, but when asked about Gnome and KDE commits he said that Gnome and KDE work on Solaris and therefore aren't part of Linux. What is Linux to the average user if you remove them? And again, I must re-iterate, you have made derogatory remarks against Canonical, remarks that they do nothing for Linux, and these remarks were made when the conversation had moved into territory discussing the greater Linux landscape, including KDE and Gnome projects.

When pressed further whether they're relevant he himself said -
        Originally posted by Greg Kroah-Hartman
        I'm not saying they're not an important parts.

and I don't see anything talking about Ubuntu parasitism in there. In other words, you just provided a "real world example" of a quotation fail.
        Originally posted by next9 View Post
        You were referencing that info to assert that Canonical were parasites, but to say that is to ignore what they do offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Yeah, but your original argument was that Ubuntu does not contribute anything back to the Linux community, not just the Linux kernel - and that is simply not true. :P
          Yes it is true. Ubuntu parasites Debian and others and does not contribute. For ubuntu idiots I claim, that contribution in rate 0.1% is no contribution. I would accept that from distribution with 0.1% of the users. Not from "most used" distribution (as you claimed many times).

And don't tell me those bullshit about Gnome and KDE. You did not brought any example except some obscure GUI utilities nobody accept outside Ubuntu.So bring me some numbers, kid. Until you show some remarkable contribution (and It would be so easy if Canonical contribute so much ) above the level of insignificant amount, you can just shut up and be happy, that Debian does its work so great, that you can use it's parasite.

Comment

Yes it is true. Ubuntu parasites Debian and others and does not contribute. For ubuntu idiots I claim, that contribution in rate 0.1% is no contribution. I would accept that from distribution with 0.1% of the users. Not from "most used" distribution (as you claimed many times).
            Don't you have any reading comprehension skills? This has already been covered previously in this thread.

Originally posted by next9 View Post
            And don't tell me those bullshit about Gnome and KDE. You did not brought any example except some obscure GUI utilities nobody accept outside Ubuntu.So bring me some numbers, kid. Until you show some remarkable contribution (and It would be so easy if Canonical contribute so much ) above the level of insignificant amount, you can just shut up and be happy, that Debian does its work so great, that you can use it's parasite.
            You bring nothing of value to this discussion at all. Simply re-iterating falsehoods isn't going to cut it really.

Comment

And don't tell me those bullshit about Gnome and KDE. You did not brought any example except some obscure GUI utilities nobody accept outside Ubuntu.So bring me some numbers, kid. Until you show some remarkable contribution
              -The notification system aka Ayatana and working with freedesktop.org on specs for it.
              Now all those gnome apps that use ayatana will use kde notifications when run on kde (and the other way around) ...
              Now I would like them to work on file dialgos/ print dialogs and OK/Cancel vs Cancel/OK button scheme, because although their gnome distro is more polished then K one they at least understand that linux is not just Gnome. If it was Redhat that implemented this new notification system it would be most likely qtk+ only and tightly integreted into gnome.

- KDE4 integration for OpenOffice.org. I would call that major. Any other distro will also use it... hurray for kubuntu devs I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                If it was Redhat that implemented this new notification system it would be most likely qtk+ only and tightly integreted into gnome.
                It would be beautifull world having just qtk+

Comment

• Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                  KDE4 integration for OpenOffice.org. I would call that major. Any other distro will also use it... hurray for kubuntu devs I guess.
                  Yes. Good example. But among the ?ric Bischoff, Bernhard Rosenkr?nzer, and Roman Shtylman I could verified only last one to be Kubuntu developer. Rosenkr?nzer is Ark Linux developer (former RedHat) and i did not find anything about Mr Bischoff. So even this project (as a whole entity) is not Canonical contribution, but Canonical only partly contributed into it.

Comment

For one thing, are you trying to attack Ubuntu or Canonical? You know that Ubuntu is in part developed by paid Canonical employees and in part by unpaid community members? Greg was complaining about Canonical (compared to RedHat and other companies) and here I think the size and income of the companies are relevant, more than the number of users. Also when he sent out the survey for the statistics, he asked about who is being paid by a company for their kernel work, and not about their favorite distribution. So kernel contributions from unpaid Ubuntu community members did not count in Canonicals favour, which is fair enough.

You also seem to be unaware that Canonical employs many important Debian developers. So we can say the Ubuntu distribution is leeching off Debian (the same way Debian is leeching off upstream), but often we are talking about the same people. Of course, Ubuntu is focused on the most important and used subset of Debian packages, and the Canonical developers in question are mostly working on this stuff.

Comment

• Yes, don't forget how much Ubuntu/Canonical contribute to KDE!

Comment

Working...
                      X