Plymouth Gets Tighter Integration With GDM, X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
    Nowhere in KDE does it say that you *must* change the settings. If the defaults work for you, then by all means leave them. It is just good to have them there for people who would like to change them.

Nowhere in GNOME does it say you *must* change the settings. Point?
    Most people I noticed tend to fixate themselves on KDE's superior customization options. That really gets you nowhere. There are far more interesting features that KDE has over GNOME in the desktop area.
    Last edited by Melcar; 28 November 2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      Nowhere in GNOME does it say you *must* change the settings. Point?
      In GNOME, you either are not given the opportunity to change the settings or you must install Gconf and mess around with it. In KDE, all the settings are right there in the Systemsettings program.

Comment

Gah, there I am thinking this is kinda cool and then I walk straight into the oldest flame war in the book. Grow up, guys, geez.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          Gah, there I am thinking this is kinda cool and then I walk straight into the oldest flame war in the book. Grow up, guys, geez.
          Exactly.
          (ten character limit)

Comment

Heh, it's impossible to read a Gnome-related discussion without KDE trolls showing up around here.

Seriously guys, who the hell gives a damn whether KDE is configurable out of the box? This a news item about Plymouth and GDM for Christ's sake!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Heh, it's impossible to read a Gnome-related discussion without KDE trolls showing up around here.

Seriously guys, who the hell gives a damn whether KDE is configurable out of the box? This a news item about Plymouth and GDM for Christ's sake!
              If you're using standard APIs, it should work for both GDM and KDM, not just GDM. All I know is that Linux should be all about standards and maximizing competition and choice, and that can't be done without putting standards that allow interoperability at the top of the agenda. Plymouth should be able to communicate with either display manager using the same API.
              Last edited by Yfrwlf; 29 November 2009, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                If you're using standard APIs, it should work for both GDM and KDM, not just GDM. All I know is that Linux should be all about standards and maximizing competition and choice, and that can't be done without putting standards that allow interoperability at the top of the agenda. Plymouth should be able to communicate with either display manager using the same API.
                Standards do not come out of thin air. You do not create a standard and then implement it. You implement something, and if other people become interested in this you can all get together and crystallize the functionality into a standard.

Fedora patched GDM to allow this functionality. If a KDM developer finds this useful she can do the same, thus giving birth to a de facto standard. If other developers become interested, this can be turned into a real standard.

Any other approach is just bollocks, as have been proven time and time again. The Plymouth hook is there, if you wish to see this in KDM ping a developer or get coding.

Comment

Nonsense. I believe the oldest flamewar is vim vs. emacs.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
                    And what about KDM? Why are KDE users always left behind?
                    I think that in Fedora things works sort of like this:
                    - Red Hat focus is on GNOME, so they develop everything in GNOME before;
                    - if a Red Hat employee or a volunteer wants to get things integrated they are free and welcome to do it. But that's not a prerequisite to ship a new software.

Think of PolicyKit 1, David Zeuthen (Red Hat employee) and Dario Freddi (KDE volunteer). It works like this for a lot of other things, and it applies to Ubuntu / Kubuntu to some extent too.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                      So what happens when a standard API does not exist?

Yes, this is what happened here: they created something new to cover a need for which there was no standard API. This is how it was always done and how it will always be done.

Comment

Working...
                      X