Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux 2.6.32 Kernel Benchmarks

Default Linux 2.6.32 Kernel Benchmarks

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.32 Kernel Benchmarks

With the Linux 2.6.32 kernel being released in a few days, we found it time to benchmark this newest kernel release that brings new drivers, kernel mode-setting improvements, virtualization enhancements, and more.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14403

I'm starting to think that those big boys should really start testing and profiling their crap. I wonder how 2.6.24 would compare. Good article.

This x264 boost is rather interesting, but this postmark and iozone regressions are due to the ext4 "problem"?

Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    I'm starting to think that those big boys should really start testing and profiling their crap. I wonder how 2.6.24 would compare. Good article.
    I asbolutely quote here.

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    This x264 boost is rather interesting, but this postmark and iozone regressions are due to the ext4 "problem"?
    No idea what's wrong with ext4, but Con Kolivas needs three cheers for getting them to finally fix their damn scheduler.

Read: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14285 where PTS shows the specific commit that causes the performance drop.

Question

I was really psyched about Ext4 when it first came out, but perhaps I should just stick with good old Ext3 for another year...

Meh, just get an ups and mount with nobarrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant P. View Post
    No idea what's wrong with ext4, but Con Kolivas needs three cheers for getting them to finally fix their damn scheduler.
    Well, CK and Dark Shikari. http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=185

@Phoronix team:
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    ...the Linux 2.6.32 kernel had the lowest overall CPU usage when using X-Video with MPlayer.
    Not lowest. Either 'worst', or 'highest'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant P. View Post
    Apache benchmark is meaningless. Not sure about others, but it's probably because of change in Ext4 like Michael said. Con's scheduler is slower in Apache. Btw. notice performance in not disk related benchmars is as it should be.
    Last edited by kraftman; 11-28-2009 at 05:18 AM.